How many presidents got 3rd place in a presidential election?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
      I can think of three:

      John Adams came in third in 1800, behind Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr.

      Millard Fillmore ran in 1856 as the Know-Nothing's candidate and came
      in heind Buchanan and Fremont with 8 electoral votes and 21.6% of the
      popular vote.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election%2C_1856

      And Taft came in third in 1912, behind Wilson and Roosevelt.

      Do you all know of any other presidents this happened to?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2005
        Oops. Already found another: Martin Van Buren, the Free Soil candidate
        in 1848.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election%2C_1848

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2005
          The "Old Kinderhook" also was the second choice once. That makes him
          the only President who was a winner, a first and also a second runner-
          up in different Presidential Elections:

          "In the election of 1832 he received 189 electoral votes, while
          Jackson received 219 for President. Jackson was now determined to make
          Van Buren president in 1836, and bent all his energies to that end. In
          May 1835 Van Buren was unanimously nominated by the Democratic
          convention at Baltimore. He expressed himself plainly on the questions
          of slavery and the bank, at the same time voting, perhaps with a touch
          of bravado, for a bill offered in 1836 to subject abolition literature
          in the mails to the laws of the several states. Calhoun, bitterly
          hostile to the last, objected to the usual vote of thanks to the
          retiring vice-president, but withdrew his objection. Van Buren's
          presidential victory represented more of a victory for Jackson rather
          than for Van Buren."