Vigilance on Your Morning Commute

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/8/1955/65617

      http://www.dcist.com/archives/2005/06/06/vigilance_on_your_morning_co
      mmute.php

      Vigilance on Your Morning Commute

      Remember a few years back, when then Attorney General John Ashcroft
      introduced the TIPS program? You know, the nationwide law
      enforcement initiative technically known as the Terrorist
      Information and Prevention System, whose stated purpose was to
      recruit "American workers who, in the daily course of their work,
      are in a unique position to see potentially unusual or suspicious
      activity in public places." Remember the willies some of us may have
      gotten at the prospects of our cable guy reporting on our choice of
      books, posters, or music?

      Well, the folks that run the Baltimore-Washington MARC train seem to
      have taken after the TIPS program, as a picture we received via a
      fellow blogger at Articulatory Loop seems to indicate. "Watch, Ride,
      and Report," the poster warns, amidst a backdrop that could have
      come straight from the twisted mind of George Orwell's 1984 or an
      out-of-work Soviet propagandist.

      Whatever the purpose of the program and however mystifying the
      artwork, this DCist knows to leave the Noam Chomsky at home and
      settle instead for the patriotically unthreatening romance novels of
      Danielle Steel.

      Oh wait. Word has it that Steel splits her time between San
      Francisco and France. Traitor!