on the rejection of the EU constitution

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2005
      I meant to send articles on the recent referendums in
      France and the Netherlands in which those peoples
      rejected the proposed EU constitution, but I've been
      busy and it slipped my mind. But I have a relative who
      has lived in the Netherlands for about ten years and I
      asked him what he thought of it, and this is what he
      said:

      "There is genuine discontentment in Europe regarding
      how
      anti-democratic the government in Brussels is. The
      people don't get the opportunity to elect the decision
      makers or express their opinions much. It is mostly
      the political elite that controls these things.

      So here and in France when the people had the chance
      express their opinion they were very clear that they
      did not like the direction that Europe was headed. I
      think this is a very positive move."

      That's what my relative said, and I'm inclined to
      agree with him. I normally think about the EU just as
      something which could potentially be a counterweight
      to America or to China, but if I try to put myself in
      the shoes of the European peoples I can see how they
      might dislike the EU. It has three branches to its
      government: the executive Commission, the European
      Parliament, and some courts. The Parliament is the
      only branch that's elected and it also seems like the
      least powerful of the three branches. Unelected
      bureaucrats force changes to the laws written by
      elected politicians in the member states. That seems
      worrisome to me. And this proposed constitution would
      have required all member states to have the same
      policy on defense, immigration, and other matters, and
      for the EU to have a president who would be selected
      by a council of heads of state. Imagine if there were
      a North American Union whose president was selected by
      George W. Bush, Mexican President Vicente Fox, and
      Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin. That doesn't
      sound too good to me. Anyway, I mainly just wanted to
      share the comment my relative made, as he's living in
      the EU and hears opinions of ordinary Europeans.

      Greg