Ex-FBI Official Says He Was 'Deep Throat'

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050531/ap_on_re_us/deep_throat;_ylt=ArRTFu.n3AkkcQOjfZ19MKAGw_IE;_ylu=X3oDMTA5YTdnaTJnBHNlYwNsbjcwMw--

      Ex-FBI Official Says He Was 'Deep Throat'

      By GREG SANDOVAL, Associated Press Writer

      SANTA ROSA, Calif. - A former
      FBI official claims he was "Deep Throat," the
      long-anonymous source who leaked secrets about
      President Nixon's Watergate coverup to The Washington
      Post, his family said Tuesday.

      W. Mark Felt, 91, was second-in-command at the FBI in
      the early 1970s. His claim was revealed Tuesday by
      Vanity Fair magazine, and family members said they
      believe his account is true.

      "The family believes my grandfather, Mark Felt Sr., is
      a great American hero who went well above and beyond
      the call of duty at much risk to himself to save his
      country from a horrible injustice," a family statement
      read by grandson Nick Jones said. "We all sincerely
      hope the country will see him this way as well."

      Felt, who lives with his daughter Joan in Santa Rosa
      and is in declining health, kept the secret even from
      his family until 2002, when he confided to a friend
      that he had been Post reporter Bob Woodward's source,
      the magazine said.

      "My grandfather is pleased he is being honored for his
      role as Deep Throat with his friend Bob Woodward,"
      Jones said.

      "As he recently told my mother, `I guess people used
      to think Deep Throat was a criminal, but now they
      think he was a hero.'"

      The Washington Post had no immediate comment on the
      report.

      The existence of Deep Throat, nicknamed for a popular
      porn movie of the early 1970s, was revealed in
      Woodward and Carl Bernstein's best-selling book "All
      the President's Men." In the hit movie based on the
      book, Deep Throat was played by Hal Holbrook.

      But his identity of the source whose disclosures
      helped bring down the Nixon presidency remained a
      mystery.

      Among those named over the years as Deep Throat were
      Assistant Attorney General Henry Peterson, deputy
      White House counsel Fred Fielding, and even ABC
      newswoman Diane Sawyer, who then worked in the White
      House press office. Ron Ziegler, Nixon's press
      secretary, White House aide Steven Bull, speechwriters
      Ray Price and
      Pat Buchanan, and John Dean, the White House counsel
      who warned Nixon of "a cancer growing on the
      presidency," also were considered candidates.

      And some theorized Deep Throat wasn't a single source
      at all but a composite figure.

      In 1999, Felt denied he was the man.

      "I would have done better," Felt told The Hartford
      Courant. "I would have been more effective. Deep
      Throat didn't exactly bring the White House crashing
      down, did he?"

      In 2003, Woodward and Bernstein reached an agreement
      to keep their Watergate papers at the University of
      Texas at Austin.

      At the time, the pair said documents naming "Deep
      Throat" would be kept secure at an undisclosed
      location in Washington until the source's death.

      MSNBC quoted Bernstein as saying Tuesday that he and
      Woodward would stick to their pledge not to say
      anything until Deep Throat dies.

      In the family statement, Jones said his grandfather
      believes "the men and women of the FBI who have put
      their lives at risk for more than 50 years to keep
      this country safe deserve recognition more than he."

      "On behalf of the Felt family we hope you see him as
      worthy of honor and respect as we do," Jones said.

      ___

      Associated Press writer Larry McShane in New York
      contributed to this report.