Tie-vote situations (Sticky!)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25, 2004
      If the Vice-President dies in office, it is up to the President to
      appoint a new Vice President. What if after confirmation hearings,
      there is a tie in the Senate over the confirmation of a candidate?
      Who breaks the tie in the Senate? Is it the President pro tempore of
      the Senate?

      Also, has there been any Vice-President who was also a Supreme Court
      Justice in his lifetime (before or after the Vice-Presidency)?

      Finally, recalling the 2000 election, if the decision was to be made
      in the House chamber and if there was a tie vote between the top two
      candidates, and if there was no "Henry Clay" who would throw his
      support for either one of the top two candidates, who was to break
      the tie in the House? Is it the Speaker of the House?

      Ram Lau
    • dougloidc
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2004
        <snip>
        > Finally, recalling the 2000 election, if the decision
        > was to be made in the House chamber and if there was a
        > tie vote between the top two candidates, and if there
        > was no "Henry Clay" who would throw his support for
        > either one of the top two candidates, who was to break
        > the tie in the House? Is it the Speaker of the House?

        Hmm... I'm not sure, but an easier solution would be to toss out the
        antiquated electoral college system. It probably made sense when it
        was developed, but in today's information age, it is not necessary.
        Simple is often best, and I believe this would translate to "One
        person, one vote, most votes wins."

        Every four years the value of the electoral college system is
        discussed, and then the issue is dormant until the next election
        cycle.

        As for Henry Clay... we haven't seen much "compromise" in the last
        several years. Instead we've been treated to steamroler politics.
        It's very sad.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2004
          The status quo is the bitch. It will create chaos if only the
          popular votes matter. They won't have the need to go to the "swing
          states" to campaign anymore, and all ads will have to be aired
          nationwide. Obviously too much uncertainty for both parties.