Re: Democrats Consider Revamping Primaries

    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2005
      If there's ever a real 50-state strategy, they MUST hold at least ONE
      concurrent primary in the South with Iowa and New Hampshire. (The
      Democrats would possibly have nominated Wes Clark/John Edwards instead.)

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>

      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2005
        I think your idea sounds better than the current
        system. The party's wondering how to attract more
        votes in the south, and giving us a say in the
        nomination might help a bit. I don't know when
        Georgia's primary date is, but in Texas we all know
        that the nomination's been decided long before our
        primary (in March), so few people vote in primaries
        (presidential primaries anyway). The Michigan group's
        idea of "a rotating series of six regional primaries"
        sounds good to me, though there might be potential
        problems that I don't foresee. What do you think?

        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2005
          The Michigan plan makes a lot of sense also. I just don't think the
          current system even works anymore. Iowa, the first state to pick
          Kerry, ended up voting for Bush last time. It's obvious enough that
          a stronger concensus must be made at about the same time before we
          rule out the chances of other candidates.