Democrats Consider Revamping Primaries

    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2005
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5006824,00.html

      Democrats Consider Revamping Primaries

      Sunday May 15, 2005 2:46 AM

      By MIKE GLOVER

      Associated Press Writer

      CHICAGO (AP) - Democrats, looking to reverse their
      fortunes after two straight White House defeats, met
      Saturday to hear competing proposals to revamp the
      election calendar used to choose a presidential
      nominee every four years.

      The three major proposals would focus on regional
      primaries. Two of those proposals would allow Iowa and
      New Hampshire to retain their leadoff roles in the
      candidate selection process.

      A third plan, offered by Michigan Democrats, would
      create a rotating series of six regional primaries. A
      different region would launch each presidential
      nominating season.

      That plan would allow single-state contests to begin
      the process, but those states would be rotated.
      ``Share the wealth,'' said Michigan Sen. Carl Levin.
      ``I would not lock in specific states.''

      Activists from Iowa and New Hampshire vowed to
      fiercely defend their leadoff status, and said the
      problem the party faces is excessive
      ``front-loading.'' In 2004, 30 states had held
      delegate selection contests by mid-March.

      Former New Hampshire Gov. Jeanne Shaheen argued that
      the crush of early states takes influence away from
      voters in later states.

      ``I think front-loading is one of the issues we want
      to address,'' said Shaheen.

      Tina Abbott of the Michigan Democratic Party argued
      that the leadoff roles of Iowa and New Hampshire give
      two tiny and unrepresentative states disproportionate
      influence on whom the party picks.

      ``This must be changed,'' said Abbott. ``Under the
      current system, millions of votes in later states
      count for nothing.''

      Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin defended his state's position.
      ``It emphasizes face-to-face politics, not big
      money,'' he said. ``There should be a role in the
      beginning of our process for the party faithful.''

      New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch argued: ``With 85 years
      of ingrained tradition, the New Hampshire primary
      forces candidates to answer questions. Having that
      opportunity not only makes them better candidates, it
      makes them better presidents.''

      Levin, however, said, ``What's at stake here is
      nothing less than a struggle for political equality
      and political relevance.'' He blasted ``this perpetual
      privilege that two states have.''

      The proposals were made before a special commission
      selected by the Democratic National Committee.

      Leslie Reynolds of the National Association of
      Secretaries of State said her group favored a plan
      that divided the country into four regions, which
      would hold rotating primaries. Those elections would
      follow Iowa's leadoff caucuses and New Hampshire's
      opening primary.

      ``Iowa and New Hampshire have both tradition and
      success,'' Reynolds said.

      A group called Democrats for the West pushed for an
      early primary group of eight interior western states,
      but they would also vote after Iowa and New Hampshire.

      Brian Kuehl of that group said the region is the
      fastest growing in the nation, and represents prime
      areas where Democrats can gain.

      ``We believe that with coordinated regional party
      building efforts and concerted attention from the
      Democratic presidential candidates, many western
      states will endorse the Democratic nominee in 2008,''
      said Kuehl.

      The commission will debate the various proposals in
      October. In December it will recommend any changes, if
      any, to be made to the primary calendar.

      Republicans are already planning to launch their 2008
      nominating process in Iowa and New Hampshire, and
      potential candidates have begun the painstaking
      process of courting key activists.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2005
        If there's ever a real 50-state strategy, they MUST hold at least ONE
        concurrent primary in the South with Iowa and New Hampshire. (The
        Democrats would possibly have nominated Wes Clark/John Edwards instead.)

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>

        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2005
          I think your idea sounds better than the current
          system. The party's wondering how to attract more
          votes in the south, and giving us a say in the
          nomination might help a bit. I don't know when
          Georgia's primary date is, but in Texas we all know
          that the nomination's been decided long before our
          primary (in March), so few people vote in primaries
          (presidential primaries anyway). The Michigan group's
          idea of "a rotating series of six regional primaries"
          sounds good to me, though there might be potential
          problems that I don't foresee. What do you think?

          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2005
            The Michigan plan makes a lot of sense also. I just don't think the
            current system even works anymore. Iowa, the first state to pick
            Kerry, ended up voting for Bush last time. It's obvious enough that
            a stronger concensus must be made at about the same time before we
            rule out the chances of other candidates.