Iraq expects foreign troops to pull out mid-2006

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2005
      I sent this story earlier in the day but I think it
      never went through, so sorry if you get it twice.
      http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N01234657.htm

      Iraq expects foreign troops to pull out mid-2006
      01 May 2005 18:31:19 GMT
      Source: Reuters
      WASHINGTON, May 1 (Reuters) - U.S. and other foreign
      troops in Iraq will likely start pulling out in large
      numbers by the middle of next year, Iraq's national
      security advisor said on Sunday.

      "I will be very surprised if they (U.S. and other
      foreign troops) don't think very seriously of starting
      pulling out probably by the end of the first half of
      next year," said Iraqi national security adviser
      Mowaffak Al-Rubaie in an interview with CNN's "Late
      Edition."

      When pressed on exact numbers expected to leave,
      Al-Rubaie said this depended on how quickly Iraqi
      troops could be trained and armed to take over.

      Twenty-five months after the invasion to topple Saddam
      Hussein, the United States has 138,000 troops in Iraq
      battling a relentless insurgency and training Iraqi
      security forces.

      The United States has not given a timetable for
      withdrawing its troops and U.S. President George W.
      Bush has said repeatedly that U.S. soldiers will leave
      only when their job is finished and Iraqi forces can
      take over.

      Last week, America's top general, Air Force Gen.
      Richard Myers, said rebels were attacking 50 or 60
      times a day in Iraq -- about the same as a year ago.
      On Sunday, a suicide bomber killed 15 people at a
      funeral procession at the northern Iraqi town of
      Talafar.

      Al-Rubaie said the new Iraqi government was determined
      to quell violence in Iraq by the end of this year.

      "I think we are winning -- on the winning course,
      there is no doubt about it. The level of violence is
      not measured only by the number of explosions every
      day, or the number of casualties," he said.

      He added: "There is no shadow of doubt in my mind,
      that by the end of the year, we would have achieved a
      lot, and probably the back of the insurgency has
      already been broken."