Senator Specter looks very ill

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2005
      Senator Specter is one of the few statesmen in the Senate. Let's hope
      that he will recover from his medical condition soon.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2005
        I kind of remember hearing a few months ago he'd been
        diagnosed with something serious, but he assured the
        media that the treatment was going well. I might be
        confused and thinking of someone else, but I have a
        feeling it was him. In what way did he look sick? I
        also hope he recovers.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2005
          Specter diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease
          Doctor: Chances of cure 'excellent' for Senate judiciary chairman

          Wednesday, February 16, 2005 Posted: 7:00 PM EST (0000 GMT)

          WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter
          has been diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease but intends to continue
          working during treatment, his office announced Wednesday.

          "I have beaten a brain tumor, bypass heart surgery and many tough
          political opponents, and I'm going to beat this, too," the
          Pennsylvania Republican said in a statement. "I have a lot more work
          to do for Pennsylvania and America."

          Specter's oncologist, Dr. John H. Glick, said the 75-year-old senator
          "has an excellent chance of being completely cured."

          Glick is a professor of medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and
          an expert in Hodgkin's disease, a cancer of the lymphatic system also
          known as Hodgkin's lymphoma.

          "He is in superb physical condition, particularly in light of his
          daily squash regimen," Glick said in a statement. Approximately 7,500
          cases of Hodgkin's disease are diagnosed every year in the United
          States, and Glick said it has a five-year survival rate of 70 percent.

          Specter, who took over the chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee in
          January, had experienced persistent fevers and enlarged lymph nodes
          under his left arm and above his left clavicle, his statement said.

          A biopsy of a lymph node carried out February 14 at Thomas Jefferson
          University Hospital in Philadelphia yielded a result positive for
          Hodgkin's disease, but a bone marrow biopsy showed no cancer, the
          statement said.

          Follow-up tests Wednesday at the University of Pennsylvania's Abramson
          Cancer Center determined that he has "Stage IVB" Hodgkin's disease.

          For the next six to eight months, he is expected to undergo
          chemotherapy every two weeks at the center, during which time he is
          expected to "be able to perform all duties of his office, including
          those related to the chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee," the
          statement said.
          Most advanced form

          Specter's form of the cancer is the most advanced, said Dr. Herman
          Kattlove, a hematologist-oncologist who works as a medical editor for
          the American Cancer Society.

          "But still, our success rate is quite good," he said.

          "Stage IV" means that the disease has spread outside the lymph system
          and is in another organ, he said. Specter's statement did not say
          which organ was involved.

          "B" means that the disease is accompanied by symptoms -- typically
          fevers and weight loss. The presence of symptoms also tends to worsen
          the prognosis, he said.

          Although Kattlove is not familiar with Specter's case, he said figures
          from the National Cancer Institute give a man of Specter's age and
          stage a 50 percent chance of surviving five years with the disease.

          But, he said, Specter's vigor and good physical condition could
          improve those odds.

          "I think he'll have a good outlook for the next few years," Kattlove
          said. "Whether or not he can be cured is up to luck and his health and
          good doctoring."

          Kattlove predicted that the senator's major problem while he undergoes
          chemotherapy will be fatigue.

          "If he were a bricklayer, I think he'd be out of work, but I think, as
          long as he keeps to a fairly limited routine, he should be able to
          perform well," he said.

          Each year, about 1,300 Americans die of Hodgkin's disease, according
          to the Mayo Clinic, but death rates have dropped by 60 percent since
          the 1970s.

          Specter, who supports a woman's right to have a legal abortion, came
          under fire from some Christian conservatives before his appointment as
          chairman of the Judiciary Committee. The chairman has broad powers to
          advance or hold up a president's judicial nominees. (Full story)

          Also a member of the appropriations and veteran's affairs committees,
          Specter lives in Philadelphia with his wife, Joan, a former four-term
          city councilwoman. They have two sons and four grandchildren.