Rudey Cheney

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2004
      Cheney Utters 'F-Word' in Senate -- Aides
      Thu Jun 24, 2004 08:15 PM ET Reuters
      By Thomas Ferraro
      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney blurted out the "F
      word" at Democratic Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont during a heated
      exchange on the Senate floor, congressional aides said on Thursday.
      The incident occurred on Tuesday in a terse discussion between the
      two that touched on politics, religion and money, with Cheney
      finally telling Leahy to "f--- off" or "go f--- yourself," the aides
      said.
      "I think he was just having a bad day," Leahy was quoted as saying
      on CNN, which first reported the incident. "I was kind of shocked to
      hear that kind of language on the floor."
      "That doesn't sound like language the vice president would use but
      there was a frank exchange of views," said Cheney spokesman Kevin
      Kellems.
      According to congressional aides, Leahy said hello to Cheney
      following the taking of the Senate group photo on the floor of the
      chamber.
      Cheney, who is president of the Senate, then ripped into Leahy for
      the Democratic senator's criticism this week of alleged war
      profiteering in Iraq by Halliburton, the oil services company that
      Cheney once ran.
      Leahy and other Democrats have called for congressional hearings
      into whether the vice president helped the firm win lucrative
      contracts in Iraq after the U.S.-led war that toppled Saddam Hussein.
      During their exchange, Leahy noted that Republicans had accused
      Democrats of being anti-Catholic because they are opposed to some of
      President Bush's anti-abortion judges, the aides said.
      That's when Cheney unloaded with the "F-bomb," aides said.
      With the Senate sharply divided, Democrats and Republicans have had
      numerous partisan battles in recent years on matters from taxes to
      health care.
      "Things have been pretty bad around here," said Sen. Max Baucus, a
      Montana Democrat. "But as far as I know, as far as I'm concerned,
      this is a new low."
      According to Senate rules, profanity is not permitted while the
      chamber is in session. But when the exchange occurred between Leahy
      and Cheney, the Senate was not in session so there was technically
      no foul.
      Earlier on Thursday, before word of the exchange spread, Senate
      Minority Leader Tom Daschle, a South Dakota Democrat, stood in the
      chamber and spoke of the need to improve civility with what he
      called the "politics of common ground."
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
        These things happen from time to time. It's not an issue with the
        president.
        -White House spokesman Scott McClellan, when asked about Cheney's use
        of the word fuck on the Senate floor, June 26, 2004

        I expressed my self rather forcefully, fel better after I'd done it...
        I expressed my dissatisfaction with Senator Leahy... He is the kind of
        individual who will make those charges as if he's your best friend. I
        expressed in no uncertain terms my views of his conduct, and walked
        away... Instead of having a substantive debate over important policy
        issues he had challenged my integrity and I didn't like that, and
        didn't like that after he'd done so he wanted to act as if everything
        was peaches and cream... I think that a lot of my colleagues felt that
        what I said badly needed to be said, that it was long overdue...
        Ordinarily I don't express myself in strong terms, but I thought it was
        appropriate here.
        -Dick Cheney, June 25, 2004

        When the vice president of the United States says it to a senator in
        the way in which he said it on the Senate floor, readers need to judge
        for themselves what the word is because we don't play games at The
        Washington Post and use dashes.
        -Washington Post executive editor Leonard Downie Jr., commenting on
        his paper's printing Cheney's comment unedited, June 25, 2004

        That doesn't sound like the kind of language that the vice president
        would use, but I can confirm that there was a frank exchange of views.
        -Kevin Kellems, a spokesman for the vice president, June 24, 2004

        I think he was just having a bad day and I was kind of shocked to hear
        that kind of language on the floor.
        -Senator Patrick Leahy, June 24, 2004

        Though actually Cheney was having a pretty good day. The same day, the
        24th, the Supreme Court ruled that Cheney wouldn't have to make public
        the records from his 2001 energy task force. As Supreme Court Justice
        Anthony Kennedy said in the opinion he wrote, "We note only that all
        courts should be mindful of the burdens imposed on the executive
        branch in any future proceedings. Special considerations applicable to
        the president and the vice president suggest that the courts should
        be sensitive to requests by the government."

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
          If it was Al Gore who said "go fuck yourself" on the Senate floor,
          the Republicans and the media would have gone hyper and started
          yelling at him and asking for an impeachment.

          But when Dick Cheney says it, those are the words from God. The
          hypocrisy of the current GOP is unbelievable.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
            When I heard about it, the first thing I thought was that it was too bad he wasn't
            caught on camera, so the FCC could fine him a couple million dollars.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2004
              And Cheney can make that couple million dollars easily with
              Halliburton.