Re: 59 American Ex-Diplomats Oppose Bolton

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 9:05 PM
      Heaven forbid somebody not think Taiwan is a province of Red China.
      What are these guys smoking? Do they really think the Chinese are
      dumb enough to believe that despite all our actions to the contrary,
      that we agree that Taiwan belongs to them?

      Regardless of whether Bolton is a bad candidate or not, to include an
      argument like this hurts the viability of their petition. - Tony

      > Also, they said Bolton had worked as a paid researcher for Taiwan
      >and supported recognition of it as a sovereign state, and said he was
      > skeptical of U.N. peacekeeping operations.
      >
      > ``Given these past actions and statements, John R. Bolton cannot be
      >an effective promoter of the U.S. national interest at the U.N.,''
      >the former diplomats concluded. ``We urge you to oppose his
      nomination.''

      > WASHINGTON (AP) - Challenging the White House, 59 former American
      > diplomats are urging the Senate to reject John R. Bolton's
      nomination
      > to be U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
      >
      > ``He is the wrong man for this position,'' they said in a letter to
      > Sen. Richard Lugar, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations
      > Committee. The Indiana Republican has scheduled hearings on Bolton's
      > nomination for April 7.
      >
      > ``We urge you to reject that nomination,'' the former diplomats said
      > in a letter obtained by The Associated Press and dated Tuesday.
      >
      > The ex-diplomats have served in both Democratic and Republican
      > administrations, some for long terms and others briefly. They
      include
      > Arthur A. Hartman, ambassador to France and the Soviet Union under
      > Presidents Carter and Reagan and assistant secretary of state for
      > European affairs under President Nixon.
      >
      > Others who signed the letter include James F. Leonard, deputy
      > ambassador to the U.N. in the Ford and Carter administrations;
      > Princeton N. Lyman, ambassador to South Africa and Nigeria under
      > Presidents Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Clinton; Monteagle Stearns,
      > ambassador to Greece and Ivory Coast in the Ford, Carter and Reagan
      > administrations; and Spurgeon M. Keeny Jr., deputy director of the
      > Arms Control Agency in the Carter administration.
      >
      > Their criticism dwelled primarily on Bolton's stand on issues as the
      > State Department's senior arms control official. They said he had an
      > ``exceptional record'' of opposing U.S. efforts to improve national
      > security through arms control.
      >
      > But the former diplomats also chided Bolton for his ``insistence
      that
      > the U.N. is valuable only when it directly serves the United
      States.''