Re: [prezveepsenator] Ralph W. Yarborough: The People's Senator

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
      I've been going through a backlog of messages in my
      email account and just barely noticed this one. I'm
      interested in Senator Yarborough, as he's one of the
      liberal politicians to ever succeed in Texas. I had no
      idea he defeated George H.W. Bush in the 1964 senate
      race!

      I have a good history book that mentions him, The
      Establishment In Texas Politics: The Primitive Years,
      1938-1957.

      There's a Yarborough street in El Paso that I thought
      was named after him, but have been told it was named
      for some other Yarborough. Though one of the links
      below mentions that when he worked at an El Paso law
      firm he worked with the man that my high school was
      named after, William Henry Burges.

      http://www.pstx.org/1999/memorials.html
      http://www.patricklcox.com/For_the_media/Reviews/reviews.html
      http://www.cemetery.state.tx.us/pub/user_form.asp?step=1&pers_id=3272
      http://www.io.com/~eighner/works/memoirs/ralph_yarborough.html
      http://spot.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_issues/32nd_Issue/jfk_texas.html
      http://www.jfklibrary.org/j112263a.htm

      And here's an article on one of Texas' current
      senators who's trying to blame recent courthouse
      violence on activist judges:
      http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3117839

      --- Ram Lau <ramlau@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > by former
      > opponent and governor W. Lee O'Daniel and making
      > aggressive attacks
      > on the Shivers-backed candidate Yarborough looked to
      > win the runoff
      > but lost by about 9,000 votes. It is believed (by
      > Yarborough, his
      > supporters, and biographer) that the election was
      > stolen due to
      > irregular voting in East Texas and other places and
      > that Yarborough
      > really won the runoff by 30,000 votes.
      >
      > Nevertheless, Yarborough's runs for governor had
      > raised his stature
      > and popularity in the state as he had been
      > campaigning for six years
      > straight for office. When Daniel resigned from the
      > Senate in 1957 to
      > become governor, Yarborough ran in the special
      > election to fill the
      > empty seat needing only a plurality of votes (no
      > runoff needed) to
      > win. Ironically, his many runs for governor made him
      > best positioned
      > to become a U.S. Senator. Yarborough won the special
      > election with
      > 38% of the vote to join fellow Texan Lyndon Johnson
      > in the Senate. In
      > office, Ralph Yarborough was a very different kind
      > of Southern
      > senator. He refused to sign the Southern Manifesto
      > opposing
      > integration and supported national Democratic goals
      > of more funding
      > for healthcare, education, and environment. Himself
      > a veteran, he
      > worked to expand the GI Bill of Rights to cold war
      > veterans.
      >
      > In 1958, Ralph Yarborough easily defeated
      > conservative William A.
      > Blakley in the Democratic primary and cruised onto
      > victory in the
      > general election against Republican Roy Whittenburg.
      > As a senator,
      > Yarborough got Congress to pass and John F. Kennedy
      > to sign, a bill
      > making Padre Island a national seashore.
      >
      > Ralph Yarborough rode in the Dallas, Texas motorcade
      > where John F.
      > Kennedy was assassinated in 1963. Yarborough was in
      > the same
      > convertible as Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson,
      > "Ladybird" Johnson,
      > and secret service agent Rufus Youngblood, only two
      > cars away from
      > the presidential limousine.
      >
      > In 1964, Yarborough again won the primary without a
      > runoff and went
      > on to general election victory with 56.2% in LBJ's
      > 1964 Democratic
      > landslide, this time defeating future president
      > George H.W. Bush who
      > attacked Yarborough as a left-wing demagogue and for
      > his vote for the
      > Civil Rights Act. Yarborough denounced Bush as an
      > extremist to the
      > right of that year's GOP nominee for president Barry
      === message truncated ===
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
        Don't forget that LBJ was running for reelection that year and plenty
        Dixiecrats still haven't fully converted to the Republican party. To
        be exact, it wasn't until after the Wallace 68 campaign.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>