59 American Ex-Diplomats Oppose Bolton

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2005
      WASHINGTON (AP) - Challenging the White House, 59 former American
      diplomats are urging the Senate to reject John R. Bolton's nomination
      to be U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

      ``He is the wrong man for this position,'' they said in a letter to
      Sen. Richard Lugar, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations
      Committee. The Indiana Republican has scheduled hearings on Bolton's
      nomination for April 7.

      ``We urge you to reject that nomination,'' the former diplomats said
      in a letter obtained by The Associated Press and dated Tuesday.

      The ex-diplomats have served in both Democratic and Republican
      administrations, some for long terms and others briefly. They include
      Arthur A. Hartman, ambassador to France and the Soviet Union under
      Presidents Carter and Reagan and assistant secretary of state for
      European affairs under President Nixon.

      Others who signed the letter include James F. Leonard, deputy
      ambassador to the U.N. in the Ford and Carter administrations;
      Princeton N. Lyman, ambassador to South Africa and Nigeria under
      Presidents Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Clinton; Monteagle Stearns,
      ambassador to Greece and Ivory Coast in the Ford, Carter and Reagan
      administrations; and Spurgeon M. Keeny Jr., deputy director of the
      Arms Control Agency in the Carter administration.

      Their criticism dwelled primarily on Bolton's stand on issues as the
      State Department's senior arms control official. They said he had an
      ``exceptional record'' of opposing U.S. efforts to improve national
      security through arms control.

      But the former diplomats also chided Bolton for his ``insistence that
      the U.N. is valuable only when it directly serves the United States.''

      That view, they said, would not help him negotiate with other
      diplomats at the United Nations.

      Adam Ereli, the State Department's deputy spokesman, responded: ``He
      is a great nominee. We hope he will be confirmed. And we look forward
      to his getting to New York to do the nation's business.''

      Bolton, who rarely muffles his views in diplomatic nuance, was
      nominated March 7. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice described him
      as ``a tough-minded diplomat'' with ``a proven track record of
      effective multilateralism.''

      Bolton promised to work closely with members of Congress to advance
      President Bush's policies and said his record demonstrates ``clear
      support for effective multilateral diplomacy.''

      Approval of the nomination requires a majority vote from the Senate
      committee, which has 10 Republicans and 8 Democrats.

      In the letter, the former diplomats praised Bush's efforts at the
      start of his second term to improve relations with European allies and
      with the United Nations.

      It is for that reason, they said, ``we write you to express our
      concern'' with Bolton's selection.

      They ticked off a number of treaties they said Bolton had opposed and
      said he had made ``unsubstantiated claims'' that Cuba and Syria were
      working on biological weapons.

      Also, they said Bolton had worked as a paid researcher for Taiwan and
      supported recognition of it as a sovereign state, and said he was
      skeptical of U.N. peacekeeping operations.

      ``Given these past actions and statements, John R. Bolton cannot be an
      effective promoter of the U.S. national interest at the U.N.,'' the
      former diplomats concluded. ``We urge you to oppose his nomination.''

      Mar 28 2005 11:09PM
    • tonymaloley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2005
        Heaven forbid somebody not think Taiwan is a province of Red China.
        What are these guys smoking? Do they really think the Chinese are
        dumb enough to believe that despite all our actions to the contrary,
        that we agree that Taiwan belongs to them?

        Regardless of whether Bolton is a bad candidate or not, to include an
        argument like this hurts the viability of their petition. - Tony