An open letter to Reverend Wayne Perryman

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2005
      Reverend Perryman,

      I'm watching your speech on CSPAN. I appreciate that you are bringing
      up the history of the country. But it seems you have biasedly ignored
      the Civil Rights development since FDR and the modern Democratic Party
      transformed the party.

      Do you know it was Harry Truman who desegregated the military? Do you
      know it was Senator Lyndon Johnson and later President Johnson who
      took the role to push for the passage of all the Civil Rights laws of
      his time? Do you know it was Jimmy Carter who appointed more Blacks
      officials in the executive branch than any other US Presidents? The
      Northern progressives who used to be the radical Republicans when
      James Garfield and Teddy Roosevelt were in power have all become the
      nowadays Democrats after FDR and JFK! If you see the electoral map of
      1904 and the map of 2004, it will look very obvious to you.

      And above all, do you see that all elected African American
      Congressmen, Congresswomen, and Senators (including ex-Senator Carol
      Moseley-Braun) happen to be Democrats? I hope you will read the book
      "The Walls of Jericho: Lyndon Johnson, Hubert Humphrey, Richard
      Russell, and the Struggle for Civil Rights" written by Robert Mann and
      get a more balanced view of the recent history of both Parties. Things
      have changed since the Civil Rights movement, Reverend. The South has
      turned increasingly Republican since Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy
      in 1968. Wake up.

      Is it worth selling your soul to make a quick buck to be a Black
      conservative?

      Sincerely,
      Ram Lau