Re: Trivia: Which President has appointed the most Supremre Court Chief Justices

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2005
      I thought it was odd that Rutledge served such a short time as Chief
      Justice, so I looked him on google. Here's something I fouund:

      http://www.archives.gov/national_archives_experience/charters/constitution_founding_fathers_south_carolina.html#Rutledge

      "The new government under the Constitution soon lured Rutledge. He was
      a Presidential elector in 1789 and Washington then appointed him as
      Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, but for some reason he
      apparently served only a short time. In 1791 he became chief justice
      of the South Carolina supreme court. Four years later, Washington
      again appointed him to the U.S. Supreme Court, this time as Chief
      Justice to replace John Jay. But Rutledge's outspoken opposition to
      Jay's Treaty (1794), and the intermittent mental illness he had
      suffered from since the death of his wife in 1792, caused the
      Federalist-dominated Senate to reject his appointment and end his
      public career. Meantime, however, he had presided over one term of the
      Court.

      Rutledge died in 1800 at the age of 60 and was interred at St.
      Michael's Episcopal Church in Charleston."