friends' thoughts about the postponement idea

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2004
      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:36:24 EDT
      Subject: Re: help me write a letter about the
      postponement propo...

      Seems to me that we need to wait until tomorrow and
      read the Newsweek article in its entirety before we
      can frame appropriate responses. Are there
      specifications about the attack? Must it be a major
      attack on a major American city?
      Does it involve a large body count? Or will any
      attack, even an abortive one, be enough? Or is the
      mere threat of an attack all that is needed? What
      sort of time frame is involved---Would an attack next
      week cause a postponement of an election scheduled for
      November? And how long does a "postponement"
      last----are we talking about an election being held a
      week later, or a
      dictatorship which would postpone for an indefinite
      length of time, as, for instance, in the Philippines
      under Ferdinand Marcos? Or is this just another scare

      tactic, designed to terrify Americans into sticking
      with the present administration?

      I think many of us see this as an attempt on the part
      of the Bush Administration to suspend business as
      usual and possibly to declare martial law. The fact
      that Tom Ridge is seeking an opinion from John
      Ashcroft makes my
      blood run cold. This a potential crisis of massive
      proportions, and all thinking Americans should be
      ready to respond, but I think we need to read the
      entire story
      before asking all of the questions above, and many
      others that other people will raise, before contacting
      the Fed Elections Commission.

      Message: 9
      Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:51:03 -0600
      Subject: RE: proposal to postpone election if there's
      a terror a...

      I think that we should be prepared to run the
      elections here locally and across the nation as "MOCK
      ELECTIONS" should such a catastrophe occur. We would
      not have machines. We would not have the "system" -
      but it would
      be possible to be prepared with voter lists and to
      take paper ballots in taped shut paper boxes that are
      only opened and counted in the presence of a witness
      (s). Perhaps only one or two or five precincts could
      succeed
      in doing this but we could get it on the news.
      Republicans might not participate but that wouldn't be
      the point. The point would be to have at least ONE
      local precinct have a VERY high turnout of Democrats
      at the mock election and to report the vote.

      If the elections are not held this might be the only
      way to protest. The only way to show that the process
      could have continued. The only way to show that at
      least in one corner of America someone still wanted to
      vote. If anyone in the government then arrested any of
      the participants that would make for really bad
      headlines. "Terrorist Voters insist on placing
      ballots for their candidates". ... I can see it now.