Re: Crazies - now moving on to Lebanon

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 21, 2005
      I read the whole timeline, it was very interesting. It seemed like
      during the period of Syrian occupation that the number of violent
      incidents did go down, but never really stopped. So when and if the
      Syrian troops leave, will the level of violence remain about what it's
      been the last few years, or will it rise or fall?

      Reading this reminded me of something I read a few days ago in that
      "History of the Middle East" book. In the late 50s and early 60s,
      there were several attempts to unite Egypt and Syria into one country.
      After the Baathists took power in Iraq, they also tried to include
      Iraq. But none of the attempts worked, apparently because Egypt (ruled
      by Nasser at the time) wanted the new country (I think it was to be
      called the United Arab Republic) to be ruled from Cairo and dominated
      by Egyptians. That might've made sense since their economy was better
      and they were a bit more politically stable, but the others didn't
      like it. I was very surprised when I read about it, I'd never heard
      that had happened. Things probably would be quite a bit different
      today if it had worked out.
      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>