Re: Books That Have Changed My Life

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 16, 2005
      > long before two colonies on the moon are competing for room or for
      > natural resources of some sort, and then start fighting each other?

      We haven't really found anything useful on the moon... or have we? And
      which founding father would be most likely to be the one who goes to
      the moon to pay a visit? Ben Franklin again?

      Ram
    • tonymaloley
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 16, 2005
        It is only logical to look at why the crazies want to kill
        Americans. It hurts a lot of people's feelings to hear this stuff,
        but Osama didn't just pull our name out of a hat. The crazies don't
        want any infidel encroaching on their sovereignty/land/wasteland or
        their religion or homes or their lives. I hate to admit it, but the
        bombs that used to blow up civilians in the west bank and in Lebanon
        not too long ago do really say "made in USA." I criticize bombings,
        but that reminds me, it has been a while, so I guess I appreciate
        Israel's progress in the field of diplomacy.

        On to Lebanon. Does anyone else think it looks a bit strange for the
        UN or Nato or whoever to all of a sudden consider freedom for Lebanon
        to be a huge priority? Wasn't it around 1982 that the crazies bombed
        the marine barracks, and we pulled the hell out of there? Before
        this year, have you heard any American who wasn't Lebanese indicate
        that they ever gave a rat's ass about Lebanon, for over 20 years? I
        guess it's better late than never. I'm skeptical about the
        gloriousness of Lebanon's new era, though.

        PS I'm half Lebanese. Maybe I'm a little sensitive to this stuff.
        All the angry young men that used to throw rocks at soldiers, and get
        themselves shot, well, I think it means more to an American when the
        people getting shot year in, year out, look like their cousins,
        instead of seeing them as just the kind of people who drive the taxis
        and talk funny with rags on their heads.

        - Tony

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Gordon" <jesse@j...>

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 17, 2005
          I remember hearing once there's quite a bit of uranium on the moon,
          but I don't have a source to back that up, and there doesn't seem to
          be a great lack of uranium around here.

          I can see Ben Franklin enjoying a visit to the moon. He seemed to like
          to travel and to experience new things.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 17, 2005
            Could you fill me in on what exactly was happening in Lebanon in 1982?
            I was born that year, and wasn't paying very close attention to politics.

            I suspect that a big reason why so many people, particularly in
            Washington, seem interested in Lebanon right now is more to do with
            having a chance to deal a blow against Syria, who they've ticked off
            at pretty much ever since the official end of the Iraq war. What do
            you think will happen in Lebanon if the Syrian troops really do
            withdraw? Will there be a glorious new free Lebanese democracy? Will
            it return to civil war?
            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 20, 2005
              This is from a nice site : http://timelines.ws/countries/LEBANON.HTML
              (I'm just trusting them that it's accurate, I was a kid myself!)
              To sum it up, all hell broke loose there for a few decades. Here are
              a few events concerning US troops.

              1982 Jul 6, President Ronald Reagan agreed to contribute U.S.
              troops to the peacekeeping unit in Beirut.
              (HN, 7/6/98)

              1982 Aug 20, Some 800 US Marines landed in Beirut, Lebanon, to
              oversee the withdrawal from Lebanon. In 1983 some 250 Marines and
              sailors were killed in two different car and truck bombs.
              (MC, 8/20/02)

              1983 Apr 18, At the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, 62
              people, including 17 Americans, were killed by a suicide bomber. In
              1996 sixteen Islamic militants were ordered to stand trial by a
              military court in Lebanon. Hezbollah leader Imad Mughniyeh was
              suspected of involvement.
              (WSJ, 3/26/96, p.A-1)(AP, 4/18/97)(WSJ, 9/19/01, p.A14)

              1983 Oct 15, US Marine sharpshooters killed 5 snipers at
              Beirut Intl. Airport.
              (MC, 10/15/01)

              1983 Oct 23, A truck filled with explosives, driven by a
              Moslem suicide terrorist, crashed into the U.S. Marine barracks near
              the Beirut International Airport in Lebanon. The bomb killed 241
              Marines and sailors and injured 80. Almost simultaneously, a similar
              incident occurred at French military headquarters, where 58 died and
              15 were injured. Hezbollah leader Imad Mughniyeh was suspected of
              involvement.
              (TMC, 1994, p.1983)(USAT, 6/26/96, p.1A)(WSJ, 8/1/96/p.B1)(AP,
              10/23/97) (HN, 10/23/98)(WSJ, 9/19/01, p.A14)

              1983 Dec 4, US jet fighters struck Syrian anti-aircraft
              positions in Lebanon.
              (MC, 12/4/01)

              1984 Feb 26, Last US marines in multinational peace-keeping
              force in Lebanon left Beirut.
              (SC, 2/26/02)

              --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 21, 2005
                I read the whole timeline, it was very interesting. It seemed like
                during the period of Syrian occupation that the number of violent
                incidents did go down, but never really stopped. So when and if the
                Syrian troops leave, will the level of violence remain about what it's
                been the last few years, or will it rise or fall?

                Reading this reminded me of something I read a few days ago in that
                "History of the Middle East" book. In the late 50s and early 60s,
                there were several attempts to unite Egypt and Syria into one country.
                After the Baathists took power in Iraq, they also tried to include
                Iraq. But none of the attempts worked, apparently because Egypt (ruled
                by Nasser at the time) wanted the new country (I think it was to be
                called the United Arab Republic) to be ruled from Cairo and dominated
                by Egyptians. That might've made sense since their economy was better
                and they were a bit more politically stable, but the others didn't
                like it. I was very surprised when I read about it, I'd never heard
                that had happened. Things probably would be quite a bit different
                today if it had worked out.