Shooting the Elephant

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15 1:53 PM
      I've finished reading it now. Thanks for suggesting it, Tony. I hadn't
      realized that Orwell once was a British policeman in Burma. I've read
      a semi-autobiographical work of his, Down And Out In Paris And London,
      which begins with him as a desperately poor worker in Paris. It
      doesn't explain how he got into that situation, but I now suppose he
      might've gone there after quitting his policing job in Burma, which I
      think he said in the Shooting The Elephant story he planned to quit.

      I see what you mean, Jesse, about the similitary to America's
      situation today in Iraq. I suppose we're lucky that Iraq doesn't have
      any animal comparable to India's elephants.