Re: Books That Have Changed My Life

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 15, 2005
      I can't help but wonder what the next superpower will do. Oil will be
      a lesser issue since we are running out in the whole world anyway. Are
      we talking about outer space yet? It will be interesting to see what
      kind of role the next hegemony will play.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 15, 2005
        I guess it depends on how long the U.S. remains a superpower. We seem
        to be declining economically, and eventually we might be overtaken in
        that regard by China, India, and the EU. Or maybe not, who knows? Our
        military is still very large, well-trained, with all the latest
        technological gadgets and isn't likely to be overtaken by anyone
        anytime soon, but it now has a problem finding enough recruits.

        I'm not sure we really are running the world as much as it appears we
        are, or as much we would like to be. But we are trying, for sure.

        About outer space- well, I should admit I'm a big Star Trek fan and
        thus have romantic notions about space exploration. But I imagine in
        the next century or two colonies will be built on the moon and Mars.
        To do much more than that would probably require incredible
        technological advances. Population is growing very fast and some
        countries are running out of room, so starting a colony on another
        planet might seem like a good solution. And in the very long run, when
        the sun dies it'll probably take the Earth with it, so it might be a
        good idea to colonize other places before then.

        I remember last year the president of India was suggesting that India
        and the U.S. build a joint colony, on either the moon or Mars, I
        forget which. I don't remember if he got a reply. If and when we do
        start colonizing, will it happen in the same way that the Europeans
        colonized the Americas? There won't be any natives to fight, but how
        long before two colonies on the moon are competing for room or for
        natural resources of some sort, and then start fighting each other? Or
        rebel against their parent country back on Earth? What do you all think?

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 16, 2005
          > long before two colonies on the moon are competing for room or for
          > natural resources of some sort, and then start fighting each other?

          We haven't really found anything useful on the moon... or have we? And
          which founding father would be most likely to be the one who goes to
          the moon to pay a visit? Ben Franklin again?

          Ram
        • tonymaloley
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 16, 2005
            It is only logical to look at why the crazies want to kill
            Americans. It hurts a lot of people's feelings to hear this stuff,
            but Osama didn't just pull our name out of a hat. The crazies don't
            want any infidel encroaching on their sovereignty/land/wasteland or
            their religion or homes or their lives. I hate to admit it, but the
            bombs that used to blow up civilians in the west bank and in Lebanon
            not too long ago do really say "made in USA." I criticize bombings,
            but that reminds me, it has been a while, so I guess I appreciate
            Israel's progress in the field of diplomacy.

            On to Lebanon. Does anyone else think it looks a bit strange for the
            UN or Nato or whoever to all of a sudden consider freedom for Lebanon
            to be a huge priority? Wasn't it around 1982 that the crazies bombed
            the marine barracks, and we pulled the hell out of there? Before
            this year, have you heard any American who wasn't Lebanese indicate
            that they ever gave a rat's ass about Lebanon, for over 20 years? I
            guess it's better late than never. I'm skeptical about the
            gloriousness of Lebanon's new era, though.

            PS I'm half Lebanese. Maybe I'm a little sensitive to this stuff.
            All the angry young men that used to throw rocks at soldiers, and get
            themselves shot, well, I think it means more to an American when the
            people getting shot year in, year out, look like their cousins,
            instead of seeing them as just the kind of people who drive the taxis
            and talk funny with rags on their heads.

            - Tony

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Gordon" <jesse@j...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 17, 2005
              I remember hearing once there's quite a bit of uranium on the moon,
              but I don't have a source to back that up, and there doesn't seem to
              be a great lack of uranium around here.

              I can see Ben Franklin enjoying a visit to the moon. He seemed to like
              to travel and to experience new things.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 17, 2005
                Could you fill me in on what exactly was happening in Lebanon in 1982?
                I was born that year, and wasn't paying very close attention to politics.

                I suspect that a big reason why so many people, particularly in
                Washington, seem interested in Lebanon right now is more to do with
                having a chance to deal a blow against Syria, who they've ticked off
                at pretty much ever since the official end of the Iraq war. What do
                you think will happen in Lebanon if the Syrian troops really do
                withdraw? Will there be a glorious new free Lebanese democracy? Will
                it return to civil war?
                --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 20, 2005
                  This is from a nice site : http://timelines.ws/countries/LEBANON.HTML
                  (I'm just trusting them that it's accurate, I was a kid myself!)
                  To sum it up, all hell broke loose there for a few decades. Here are
                  a few events concerning US troops.

                  1982 Jul 6, President Ronald Reagan agreed to contribute U.S.
                  troops to the peacekeeping unit in Beirut.
                  (HN, 7/6/98)

                  1982 Aug 20, Some 800 US Marines landed in Beirut, Lebanon, to
                  oversee the withdrawal from Lebanon. In 1983 some 250 Marines and
                  sailors were killed in two different car and truck bombs.
                  (MC, 8/20/02)

                  1983 Apr 18, At the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, 62
                  people, including 17 Americans, were killed by a suicide bomber. In
                  1996 sixteen Islamic militants were ordered to stand trial by a
                  military court in Lebanon. Hezbollah leader Imad Mughniyeh was
                  suspected of involvement.
                  (WSJ, 3/26/96, p.A-1)(AP, 4/18/97)(WSJ, 9/19/01, p.A14)

                  1983 Oct 15, US Marine sharpshooters killed 5 snipers at
                  Beirut Intl. Airport.
                  (MC, 10/15/01)

                  1983 Oct 23, A truck filled with explosives, driven by a
                  Moslem suicide terrorist, crashed into the U.S. Marine barracks near
                  the Beirut International Airport in Lebanon. The bomb killed 241
                  Marines and sailors and injured 80. Almost simultaneously, a similar
                  incident occurred at French military headquarters, where 58 died and
                  15 were injured. Hezbollah leader Imad Mughniyeh was suspected of
                  involvement.
                  (TMC, 1994, p.1983)(USAT, 6/26/96, p.1A)(WSJ, 8/1/96/p.B1)(AP,
                  10/23/97) (HN, 10/23/98)(WSJ, 9/19/01, p.A14)

                  1983 Dec 4, US jet fighters struck Syrian anti-aircraft
                  positions in Lebanon.
                  (MC, 12/4/01)

                  1984 Feb 26, Last US marines in multinational peace-keeping
                  force in Lebanon left Beirut.
                  (SC, 2/26/02)

                  --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 21, 2005
                    I read the whole timeline, it was very interesting. It seemed like
                    during the period of Syrian occupation that the number of violent
                    incidents did go down, but never really stopped. So when and if the
                    Syrian troops leave, will the level of violence remain about what it's
                    been the last few years, or will it rise or fall?

                    Reading this reminded me of something I read a few days ago in that
                    "History of the Middle East" book. In the late 50s and early 60s,
                    there were several attempts to unite Egypt and Syria into one country.
                    After the Baathists took power in Iraq, they also tried to include
                    Iraq. But none of the attempts worked, apparently because Egypt (ruled
                    by Nasser at the time) wanted the new country (I think it was to be
                    called the United Arab Republic) to be ruled from Cairo and dominated
                    by Egyptians. That might've made sense since their economy was better
                    and they were a bit more politically stable, but the others didn't
                    like it. I was very surprised when I read about it, I'd never heard
                    that had happened. Things probably would be quite a bit different
                    today if it had worked out.