Re: Russia to Deliver Nuclear Fuel to Iran

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2005
      I agree, much more needs to be done to stop more countries from
      getting nuclear weapons, and those that already have them should be
      encouraged to get rid of them. I don't really expect that to happen
      though, unfortunately. I'm glad Bush has chosen to pressure various
      countries to not develop nuclear weapons, but I'd note that his
      pressure on Iran and North Korea may have driven those governments to
      fear an immiment American invasion and thus speed up their nuclear
      programs to stop that from happening. And, of course, Bush doesn't
      pressure countries like Pakistan, India, or Israel to give up their
      nuclear weapons, because they're our allies. For that matter, what
      about the U.S. itself?

      And it's not just in the area of nuclear weapons that more could be
      done for, as you put it, "Communication instead of violence". But on
      the subject of nuclear weapons, Sam Nunn put it much better than I
      could in this article:

      US 'no example' for non-proliferation
      From correspondents in Washington
      March 10, 2005
      From: Agence France-Presse

      US President George W. Bush has not set an example to persuade allies
      to join nuclear non-proliferation efforts in Iran and North Korea,
      former US senator Sam Nunn said today.

      "We have to have other countries to put pressure on Iran, we have to
      have other countries to put pressure on North Korea, like Japan, like
      China, like South Korea and get those countries to really join in
      enthusiastically," Mr Nunn spoke to reporters at the National Press
      Club in Washington.

      "It's awfully hard to ask countries around the globe to do a lot more
      to fight against the North Koreans or the Iranians getting nuclear
      weapons if we ourselves seem to be increasing our dependence on
      nuclear weapons," Mr Nunn said.

      "We have to have an example we are setting ourselves."

      The 24-year Democratic senator from Georgia chairs the Nuclear Threat
      Initiative, an private group opposing nuclear proliferation.

      He specifically criticised Bush administration Pentagon plans to build
      a so-called bunker-buster bomb, a nuclear weapon designed to penetrate
      hardened, underground facilities where leaders, personnel or weapons
      could be hidden.

      "We're not devaluating nuclear weapons. We're putting more emphasis on
      nuclear weapons," Mr Nunn said.

      "I think that is a real mistake and I hope that it will be reversed in
      this administration."

      Mr Nunn also said the Bush administration and Europe had missed
      opportunities to work together in attempting to defuse Iraq's nuclear

      "We got to have carrots and sticks," he said.

      "The Europeans have to be willing to do a lot more and get a lot
      tougher if the Iranians do not give up their nuclear abilities.

      "We have to be willing to put some things on the table both
      diplomatically and in other ways, with the Europeans while they're
      making this effort.

      "Both the Europeans and the US have to do a lot more to listen to each
      other and a coordinate their approach vis-a-vis Iran," Mr Nunn said.

      "I think you need carrots and sticks."

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>