Russia to Deliver Nuclear Fuel to Iran

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2005
      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050227/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_nuclear

      Russia to Deliver Nuclear Fuel to Iran

      Sun Feb 27, 8:40 AM ET

      By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer

      BUSHEHR, Iran - Russia and Iran (news - web sites)
      signed a deal Sunday that would deliver nuclear fuel
      to the Middle East country for the startup of its
      first reactor � a project the United States had for
      years pushed Moscow to drop, claiming Iran is trying
      to build a nuclear bomb.

      Iranian Vice President Gholamreza Aghazadeh and
      Russian Atomic Energy Agency chief Alexander
      Rumyantsev signed the agreement at the Bushehr nuclear
      power plant. The signing, which was delayed by a day,
      came after the two senior officials toured the $800
      million complex.

      "Today, a very important development occurred, and
      that was the protocol on returning nuclear fuel, which
      we signed together. In the next few weeks many Russian
      technicians will arrive in Bushehr" to finish the
      plant, Rumyantsev said after the signing.

      Both officials refused to discuss the details of
      shipping the nuclear fuel to Iran and the spent fuel
      back to Russia, but insisted that the agreement
      conforms to international nuclear regulations.

      "Iran observes all the regulations on the prohibition
      of the spread of nuclear weapons," Rumyantsev said.

      Russia, which helped build the plant, has agreed to
      provide the fuel needed to run it � but only if Iran
      returns the spent fuel to prevent any possibility
      Tehran would extract plutonium from it to make atomic
      bombs. Tehran has agreed to return the spent fuel, but
      the sides disagreed on who should pay for its return.

      Both officials said Sunday they had agreed on details
      of the shipment, but said the timing and the costs �
      including who would pay for what � were confidential.

      The signing came a few days after a summit between
      President Bush (news - web sites) and Russian
      President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) in
      Slovakia, which touched on American concerns over
      Russian support for Iran's nuclear program.

      Washington accuses Tehran of covertly trying to build
      a nuclear bomb, which Iran denies. Putin has said he
      is sure Iran's intentions are merely to generate
      energy, not create weapons, and that Russian
      cooperation with Tehran would continue.

      It wasn't immediately clear whether Thursday's
      Bush-Putin summit had delayed the signing, which had
      been expected Saturday, but Mohammad Saeedi, deputy
      head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization said "the
      Bush-Putin talks did not have an effect on the
      agreement. Our talks (with the Russians) have been
      successful."

      Just ahead of the signing, Aghazadeh showed Rumyantsev
      Bushehr's nuclear fuel storage house and the reactor
      core, expected to be operational by late 2005 or early
      2006.

      "What I saw was much better and more than I had
      expected. Assembling operations in the past three to
      four months have been expedited," Rumyantsev said.
      Referring to the process to complete the plant, he
      added: "I can't say the situation is excellent, but
      it's very good."

      Aghazadeh said the fuel storage area was built to
      international standards. "This storage house is ready
      to receive nuclear fuel," he said.

      Iranian efforts to produce its own fuel rather than
      importing it have been a bigger concern in the
      international community than the deal with Russia.
      That's because the enrichment process can be carried
      further to produce material for nuclear weapons.

      France, Britain and Germany are trying to secure an
      Iranian commitment to scrap enrichment plans in
      exchange for economic aid, technical support and
      backing for Tehran's efforts to join mainstream
      international organizations. Iran has suspended
      enrichment-related activities during the talks with
      the Europeans, which both sides have said were
      difficult, but insists the freeze will be brief.

      Bush has expressed support for the European efforts.
      But documents being circulated among International
      Atomic Energy Agency board members in Vienna ahead of
      a board meeting Monday, and seen by The Associated
      Press there, indicated Washington would try to
      increase pressure on Tehran by the next agency board
      meeting in June should the European talks fail.
    • tonymaloley
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2005
        This doesn't matter, because the home of the Taliban already has the
        bomb. That's right, beautiful Pakistan, the country that chooses its
        leaders by coup.

        The odds are pretty good that some city is going to get nuked. I
        hope one city is enough. People don't tend to believe logical
        arguments, they have to see the proof. It takes someone getting
        killed before they bother putting up the "Dangerous Intersection"
        sign.

        This stuff could degenerate into an all out nuclear holy war. We
        really need to get the muslims to join the rest of the world. We
        need to get various religions to start accepting that this world and
        this life is precious, and not an insignificant means to an end.
        Communication instead of violence. I guess I'm probably preaching to
        the choir, or, I guess, the duet. -Tony

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2005
          I agree, much more needs to be done to stop more countries from
          getting nuclear weapons, and those that already have them should be
          encouraged to get rid of them. I don't really expect that to happen
          though, unfortunately. I'm glad Bush has chosen to pressure various
          countries to not develop nuclear weapons, but I'd note that his
          pressure on Iran and North Korea may have driven those governments to
          fear an immiment American invasion and thus speed up their nuclear
          programs to stop that from happening. And, of course, Bush doesn't
          pressure countries like Pakistan, India, or Israel to give up their
          nuclear weapons, because they're our allies. For that matter, what
          about the U.S. itself?

          And it's not just in the area of nuclear weapons that more could be
          done for, as you put it, "Communication instead of violence". But on
          the subject of nuclear weapons, Sam Nunn put it much better than I
          could in this article:

          http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12500471-23109,00.html

          US 'no example' for non-proliferation
          From correspondents in Washington
          March 10, 2005
          From: Agence France-Presse

          US President George W. Bush has not set an example to persuade allies
          to join nuclear non-proliferation efforts in Iran and North Korea,
          former US senator Sam Nunn said today.

          "We have to have other countries to put pressure on Iran, we have to
          have other countries to put pressure on North Korea, like Japan, like
          China, like South Korea and get those countries to really join in
          enthusiastically," Mr Nunn spoke to reporters at the National Press
          Club in Washington.

          "It's awfully hard to ask countries around the globe to do a lot more
          to fight against the North Koreans or the Iranians getting nuclear
          weapons if we ourselves seem to be increasing our dependence on
          nuclear weapons," Mr Nunn said.

          "We have to have an example we are setting ourselves."

          The 24-year Democratic senator from Georgia chairs the Nuclear Threat
          Initiative, an private group opposing nuclear proliferation.

          He specifically criticised Bush administration Pentagon plans to build
          a so-called bunker-buster bomb, a nuclear weapon designed to penetrate
          hardened, underground facilities where leaders, personnel or weapons
          could be hidden.

          "We're not devaluating nuclear weapons. We're putting more emphasis on
          nuclear weapons," Mr Nunn said.

          "I think that is a real mistake and I hope that it will be reversed in
          this administration."

          Mr Nunn also said the Bush administration and Europe had missed
          opportunities to work together in attempting to defuse Iraq's nuclear
          program.

          "We got to have carrots and sticks," he said.

          "The Europeans have to be willing to do a lot more and get a lot
          tougher if the Iranians do not give up their nuclear abilities.

          "We have to be willing to put some things on the table both
          diplomatically and in other ways, with the Europeans while they're
          making this effort.

          "Both the Europeans and the US have to do a lot more to listen to each
          other and a coordinate their approach vis-a-vis Iran," Mr Nunn said.

          "I think you need carrots and sticks."

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>