was the 1864 election delayed?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2004
      I heard someone claim today that the 1864 election was
      delayed because of the Civil War. Do you know if
      that's true? If so, what was the legal basis used for
      the delay in 1864?
      Greg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2004
        The 1864 election was held on 11/8.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_8

        I don't think there was a delay. 11/8/1864 was a Tuesday right?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2004
          No idea if it was a Tuesday or not. But if it was postponed in 1865
          then it must have only been postponed a few days. And that doesn't
          seem likely to me. I'd expect a postonement, in their time or ours, to
          be at least a few weeks, because there'd need to be that much time to
          get all the polling places reorganized. Or so I suspect.