Humphrey grandson won't run for Senate in 2006

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2005

      February 14, 2005 at 10:34 AM
      Humphrey grandson won't run for Senate in 2006
      Associated Press

      There won't be a Humphrey in Minnesota's race for U.S.
      Senate in 2006.

      Buck Humphrey, the grandson of former vice president
      and senator Hubert H. Humphrey, had given thought to
      running, but today he withdrew his name from
      consideration.

      He was among several Democrats to express an interest
      in the race last week after incumbent DFL Sen. Mark
      Dayton announced he wouldn't seek a second term.

      The 35-year-old Humphrey said the time wasn't right
      for a run.

      ``I don't think it works on a political level or, most
      importantly, on a family level,'' he said.

      He didn't rule out running for the Senate in the
      future.

      Humphrey's grandfather served in the Senate for nearly
      a quarter century. When he died in 1978, his wife
      Muriel finished his term. Skip Humphrey, Buck's
      father, ran unsuccessfully for the Senate in 1988.

      Democrats still weighing campaigns include:
      Minneapolis lawyer Mike Ciresi, Senate Majority Leader
      Dean Johnson, U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, former U.S.
      Rep. Bill Luther, outgoing DFL Chairman Mike
      Erlandson, Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobuchar,
      former public development official Rebecca Yanisch,
      former state Sen. Jerry Janezich, University of
      Minnesota general counsel Mark Rotenberg and
      children's advocate Patty Wetterling.

      U.S. Rep. Mark Kennedy and former Sen. Rod Grams said
      last week that they would seek the Republican
      nomination. They might be joined in the GOP race by
      U.S. Rep. Gil Gutknecht and Minnesota House Majority
      Leader Erik Paulsen.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 15, 2005
        I miss Paul Wellstone. I believe there are millions of progressives
        and true patriots who are missing him as well.