letter to the elctions assistance commission

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2004
      you can also write them at HAVAinfo@...

      Dear Elections Assistance Commission,
      I want to tell you that in this voter's opinion,
      postponing the election would be a terrible idea, even
      if there had been a terrorist attack on our nation.
      Any attempt to stall the election will be widely
      perceived as a coup by the incumbent.
      The people will think, "Well if they can postpone it
      once, why can't they postpone repeatedly? Will they
      ever let us vote?"
      And as the days, weeks, and months go by the people
      will become increasingly bitter and doubt that the
      president has any interest in democracy. I hope that
      they would be mistaken.
      Also, you should remember that if you postpone the
      election after January 20 then the incumbent president
      and vice president would legally no longer have their
      jobs.
      It's been said in the media that the March 11 bombings
      in Madrid affected the Spanish election. I think the
      media are using faulty reasoning on this. I thought
      that the Spanish people voted against the incumbent
      government because it had lied to them about the
      bombers' identity, but the people didn't vote against
      the incumbents simply because of the bombings. I
      expect the U.S. government would be more truthful to
      us if a terrorist attack happened here again.
      I hope that I'm not the only voter to write to you
      about this. If I am, then obviously the voters agree
      with you. But if many voters agree that the election
      should happen on schedule, then the voters' opinion
      ought to be respected.

      Greg Cannon,
      El Paso, Texas
      gregcannon1@...
    • shinsuinoseito
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2004
        I really really hope they don't postpone the elections...man would
        that mess up the country....