Re: "Republic of Texas" resurfaces

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2005
      I've been discussing that topic with friends of mine here in Texas,
      and we agree that if that happened we hope our town, El Paso, would
      secede from Texas and join either New Mexico or Chihuahua.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2005
        Sounds like a plan. But is it possible for a city to secede from a state?

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2005
          I don't really know. In the unlikely event that Texas secedes, I think
          all the rules would be up in the air. If it happened though, I would
          likely lobby my local officials to have El Paso secede from Texas. I'm
          often not fond of what the U.S. federal government does, but I fear
          what we might Texans might dream up if left to our own devices.

          And of course those Republic of Texas people aren't just imagining an
          independent Texas with the borders Texas has today. They want to
          include parts of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, and I forgot what else.