Re: Anti-immigrant politician is descended from illegal immigrants

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
      A Tory! Isn't the Conservative Party conservative enough for these
      people? I thought the article was referring to the Congressman from
      Kansas/Missouri who got on the Daily Show speaking against immigrants
      not too long ago.

      When I look at British politics and their 3-party system, I so wish
      that we had something equivalent to the Liberal Democrats here in the
      US. Tony Blair successfully positioned his party to be the party in
      the middle. So did Bill Clinton in the 90's thanks to Ross Perot.

      To save the country, this 3rd party left-wing or populist guy must
      show up again very soon. Too bad that this new Perot hasn't shown up
      in the last two elections. We got Ralph Nader instead. He did too
      little to help the Greens become the American Liberal Democrats, and
      too much to cost the Gore victory.

      It's always been these 3rd party guys who change the direction of the
      country in the critical elections... (at least in 1912, 1948, 1968,
      1980, 1992, and 2000 since a century ago) for better or for worse.