Re: Anti-immigrant politician is descended from illegal immigrants

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
      > Howard family's 'illegal migrant'

      These so-called "conservative" Republicans are getting more and more
      famous for having no shame in recent years.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
        I agreem except that Howard's actually not a Republican, he's a Tory, the
        British version of Republicans. And I remember last year that Howard called
        up the White House and said, "I might end up being British Prime Minister in a
        few years, so how about I come meet President Bush?" And Rove said no
        way, we won't have anything to do with you or any opponent of Tony Blair. It's
        rather ironic, because the Tories agree with Bush on policy far more than
        Labour, Blair's party, does (except for Iraq, obviously).

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
          A Tory! Isn't the Conservative Party conservative enough for these
          people? I thought the article was referring to the Congressman from
          Kansas/Missouri who got on the Daily Show speaking against immigrants
          not too long ago.

          When I look at British politics and their 3-party system, I so wish
          that we had something equivalent to the Liberal Democrats here in the
          US. Tony Blair successfully positioned his party to be the party in
          the middle. So did Bill Clinton in the 90's thanks to Ross Perot.

          To save the country, this 3rd party left-wing or populist guy must
          show up again very soon. Too bad that this new Perot hasn't shown up
          in the last two elections. We got Ralph Nader instead. He did too
          little to help the Greens become the American Liberal Democrats, and
          too much to cost the Gore victory.

          It's always been these 3rd party guys who change the direction of the
          country in the critical elections... (at least in 1912, 1948, 1968,
          1980, 1992, and 2000 since a century ago) for better or for worse.