Anti-immigrant politician is descended from illegal immigrants

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005

      Saturday, 12 February, 2005, 12:25 GMT

      Howard family's 'illegal migrant'

      Michael Howard's grandfather might have entered
      Britain as an illegal immigrant in the 1930s, the Tory
      leader has said.

      Mr Howard told the Daily Mail his father, Bernard
      Hecht, had falsified details about his own parents
      when applying for British citizenship.

      He said his father had said they had died in Romania,
      when Mr Howard's grandfather had been living in
      London.

      Mr Howard said the fact his father had lied might have
      meant his grandfather had entered the country
      illegally.

      Mr Howard's grandmother died at Auschwitz in 1944.

      "I have speculated on the reason and I suppose one
      possibility is my grandfather might have entered
      Britain unlawfully," he told the newspaper.

      "There might have been some irregularities about his
      status."

      Last month, Mr Howard unveiled proposals that would
      see immigration levels capped under a Tory government,
      with a points system for applicants seeking visas to
      work in Britain.

      It would also see quotas on asylum, with all claims
      processed overseas.

      Mr Howard admitted he was not sure if his grandfather
      would have been allowed into the country under his
      party's proposals.

      "I cannot answer that. We have not yet worked out how
      the points system will operate."

      Mr Howard's father came to Britain, as an economic
      migrant, at a time when fascism was on the rise in
      Europe.

      Having changed the family's name after settling in
      Wales, he applied for British citizenship in 1947.

      Mr Howard said he had discovered his family background
      only recently.

      "It came as a surprise to me. What my father did was
      wrong," he said.

      "I don't condone it - but I don't feel embarrassed,
      because I have done nothing wrong myself."

      Mr Howard made the revelation after the recent 60th
      anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, and after
      learning that journalist Michael Crick was
      investigating his family history, the paper said.

      Mr Crick told BBC Radio 4's Today programme family
      members remembered Mr Howard's grandfather living in
      London up until the early 1950s.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2005
        > Howard family's 'illegal migrant'

        These so-called "conservative" Republicans are getting more and more
        famous for having no shame in recent years.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
          I agreem except that Howard's actually not a Republican, he's a Tory, the
          British version of Republicans. And I remember last year that Howard called
          up the White House and said, "I might end up being British Prime Minister in a
          few years, so how about I come meet President Bush?" And Rove said no
          way, we won't have anything to do with you or any opponent of Tony Blair. It's
          rather ironic, because the Tories agree with Bush on policy far more than
          Labour, Blair's party, does (except for Iraq, obviously).

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 13, 2005
            A Tory! Isn't the Conservative Party conservative enough for these
            people? I thought the article was referring to the Congressman from
            Kansas/Missouri who got on the Daily Show speaking against immigrants
            not too long ago.

            When I look at British politics and their 3-party system, I so wish
            that we had something equivalent to the Liberal Democrats here in the
            US. Tony Blair successfully positioned his party to be the party in
            the middle. So did Bill Clinton in the 90's thanks to Ross Perot.

            To save the country, this 3rd party left-wing or populist guy must
            show up again very soon. Too bad that this new Perot hasn't shown up
            in the last two elections. We got Ralph Nader instead. He did too
            little to help the Greens become the American Liberal Democrats, and
            too much to cost the Gore victory.

            It's always been these 3rd party guys who change the direction of the
            country in the critical elections... (at least in 1912, 1948, 1968,
            1980, 1992, and 2000 since a century ago) for better or for worse.