Hutchison hires campaign officials in preparation for 2006

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12 4:50 AM
      http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/10876613.htm?1c

      Posted on Fri, Feb. 11, 2005

      Hutchison hires campaign officials in preparation for
      2006

      Associated Press

      AUSTIN - U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison has hired two
      nationally known political heavyweights to launch a
      statewide campaign, possibly indicating that she's
      gearing up to challenge Republican Gov. Rick Perry.

      "I have not decided exactly what I am going to do,"
      Hutchison said Friday during an appearance in Houston.
      "I do not think it would be appropriate to make an
      announcement during a legislative session."

      The Republican senator's spokesman, David Beckwith,
      would not say what race the new campaign staff is
      preparing for.

      "Whatever she runs for in 2006, it's time to start
      assembling the campaign team," Beckwith said.

      The new campaign manager is Terry Sullivan, who most
      recently ran the successful campaign for U.S. Sen. Jim
      DeMint, a conservative from South Carolina. Sullivan
      guided DeMint's campaign through what he described as
      a "brutal, competitive and heated" Republican primary.

      The senator also hired Scott Howell of Dallas to
      direct the media campaign. Howell has worked for the
      Bush-Cheney campaign, as well as those of five other
      Republican senators, including Saxby Chambliss of
      Georgia.

      That campaign, against incumbent Democrat Max Cleland,
      was particularly rough. Cleland, a disabled Vietnam
      War veteran, was coupled in ads with Saddam Hussein
      and Osama bin Laden.

      For her previous campaigns, Hutchison has used
      ad-maker David Weeks of Austin. He also does the
      campaign ads for Perry, who is a longtime friend.

      Beckwith declined to say why Hutchison was switching,
      other than to call Howell "a creative media person."

      Perry's campaign manager, Luis Saenz, said he would
      not read anything into the new Hutchison hires.

      "She's got a re-election race coming up in '06, so
      there's no surprise that she's putting together a
      campaign," Saenz said.

      Sullivan said he is prepared to run a re-election
      campaign for Hutchison or tough primary race against a
      sitting governor.

      "I'm with her for whatever she wants to do," he said.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12 12:17 PM
        Hutchison was a reporter when Bush Sr. lost his Senate race in 1970
        to Bentsen. It's very interesting to see how her life is involved
        with these people for decades. Texas is a big state, but yet it's in
        a small world!