Al Franken rules out senate run in 2006

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2005
      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=peopleNews&storyID=2005-02-10T213523Z_01_N10304379_RTRIDST_0_PEOPLE-POLITICS-FRANKEN-DC.XML

      Comedian Franken Rules Out Senate Run in 2006
      Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:36 PM ET

      WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Comedian and Democratic
      activist Al Franken on Thursday ruled out a run for a
      Senate seat from Minnesota next year but left open the
      possibility of a potential candidacy in 2008.

      "Not running for the Senate in 2006," he told
      reporters and his Air America Radio audience.
      "Minnesotans are very serious about their politics and
      it would be silly. I don't live there."

      Franken, who has written several books satirizing
      conservatives and is perhaps best known for his
      performances on the NBC program "Saturday Night Live,"
      said he had committed to two more years at Air America
      Radio, a liberal talk show network.

      "I have been looking at the 2008 Senate seat, people
      know that," he said. "If I go in 2008, you're going to
      see me moving back there."

      Franken, who was born in New York and grew up in
      Minnesota, had been mentioned as a possible candidate
      for the Senate seat being vacated by Democrat Mark
      Dayton, who announced on Wednesday he will not seek
      re-election next year.

      Several Democrats are expected to consider a run,
      although there appeared to be no immediate
      front-runner.

      A number of Republicans are seen as potential
      candidates for Dayton's seat, including Reps. Mark
      Kennedy and Gil Gutknecht as well as former Republican
      Sen. Rod Grams.

      Minnesota's other senator, Republican Norm Coleman,
      faces re-election in 2008.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2005
        Well, then that's a problem. Maybe they need to try Humphrey Jr.
        again.