minnesota democrat won't seek re-election to senate

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2005
      http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S6189.html?cat=1
      Who will it be in 2006? Updated: 02/09/2005

      Possible DFL candidates for U.S. Senate

      Steve Kelley
      Bill Luther

      St. Paul - Sen. Mark Dayton's announcement today that
      he won't be seeking re-election to his U.S. Senate
      seat in 2006 sparked a burst of speculation about who
      will be running for Minnesota's U.S. Senate from the
      Democratic, Republican, and Independence parties.

      On the Democratic side, there are several names of
      local officeholders which have been mentioned as
      possible candidates. They include, Minneapolis
      attorney Mike Ciresi, State Rep. Matt Entenza,
      Comedian Al Franken, State Sen. Dean Johnson, State
      Sen. Steve Kelley, Hennepin County Attorney Amy
      Klobuchar, former U.S. Rep. Bill Luther, U.S. Rep.
      Betty McCollum, Rebecca Yanishch, and Patty
      Wetterling.

      Klobuchar told the Associated Press that she is
      "seriously considering it." Ciresi said he would
      consider it. Kelley's aides said he has expressed
      interest. Johnson and Luther said they wouldn't rule
      it out. Franken said he will make a decision soon on
      whether or not he will run.

      Attorney General Mike Hatch and Democratic activist
      Buck Humphrey, who ran for Secretary of State in 2002,
      both said they are not interested in running.

      "Now it's a wide open game on our side for sure...It's
      going to be a challenge for the party to find the best
      possible candidate," Humphrey said.

      Those lining up in the Republican party include former
      U.S. Sen. Rod Grahams, U.S. Rep. Gil Gutkenecht, US.
      Rep. Mark Kennedy, and Secretary of State Mary
      Kiffmeyer.

      Ron Ebensteiner, the state Republican Party Chairman,
      seized on the news as a sign of Minnesota as a
      political toss-up state.

      "We have always expected this to be a wide-open and
      hard-fought race and Senator Dayton's decision to drop
      out only confirms our expectations that this is a seat
      that Minnesota Republicans can win," Ebensteiner said.

      And don't forget about the Independence Party. Former
      U.S. Sen. Dean Barkley, who served out the remainder
      of U.S. Paul Wellstone's term after he died in a plane
      crash, has been mentioned. The Chicago Sun-Times is
      also reporting an unattributed story that former Gov.
      Jesse Ventura is considering a run for the seat under
      the Independence Party banner.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2005
        That's bad news. Dayton is a good guy and the Democrats really need
        him. I hope Al Franken will give it a shot.