JKF Video

  • Gregory
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2005
      http://realserver.cstl.semo.edu/ramgen/Harte/JFKShow.rm

      The video begins with some excerpts from JFK's acceptance speech
      (where he coined the New Frontier slogan), given outdoors at the LA
      Coliseum to accommodate extra people. Already you'll hear Kennedy's
      penchant for the figure of speech we call antithesis. Then you'll see
      a clip from the first tv debate. (By the way, did you catch the
      rhetorical and historical error JFK made in referring to FDR?) Then
      there is a clip from a typical stump speech in which Kennedy
      denounces the opposition. Next is the most important speech Kennedy
      ever gave, at least in the judgment of his brother and campaign
      manager, Robert: the Houston Ministers Speech which dealt with the
      religious issue. Following that you'll see a clip from JFK's
      commencement speech at Rice University committing us to a space race.
      (Kennedy liked to speak at commencements and use such speeches to
      announce policy.) Then you'll see the TV address on Civil Rights
      following riots in Alabama, a clip from the Berlin speech
      (technically speaking he is actually saying "I am a jelly
      doughnut"!), an address on the Cuban missile crisis, and a State of
      the Union message. We encourage you to take a look at any or all of
      the speeches in their entirety. Check the links for text sources and
      audio/video clips.