Re: something odd from the civil war

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2005
      elsewhere on the site i found an explanation of some of those pictures:
      http://www.moneyfactory.com/document.cfm/18/114
      Other Facts About Portraits

      An interesting story is attached to the third general issue of
      fractional currency and the suppression of the 15-cent Grant and
      Sherman note. The issue was responsible for two Acts of Congress and
      the authorization for coinage of the 5-cent nickel piece.

      The story is that L.M. Clark, Chief of the Bureau of Engraving and
      Printing, selected himself for distinction by having his likeness
      appear on the 5-cent note. The version is that Mr. Clark ordered that
      the portrait of Francis E. Spinner, Treasurer of the United States, be
      placed on the 50-cent note without consulting him. Spinner was pleased
      with it, and as he had authority to select portraits on new notes,
      approved of it. Other designs were selected at random; and when it
      came to issuing the 5-cent note, Spinner was asked whose portrait was
      to be selected. Mr. Clark remarked, "How would the likeness of Clark
      do?" Excellent," said Spinner, thinking that reference was made to
      Freeman Clark, the Comptroller of the Currency. The matter escaped
      further notice until the notes had been printed in enormous
      quantities. This caused so much uncomplimentary criticism that it
      resulted in an Act of Congress being passed (April 7, 1866) which
      prohibited the use of portraits of any living persons. In the interim,
      the 15-cent Grant and Sherman note had been prepared, but the act
      prohibited its issue. To get the Clark 5-cent notes out of the way, an
      issue of 5-cent nickels was provided for by the May 16, 1866 Act of
      Congress. This act also prohibited the manufacture of paper currency
      in denominations less than 10-cents.
      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2005
        http://www.harrybassfoundation.org/basscatalogs/BASSSALE1/b1-1-c.htm

        Here you go, Greg. Lots of stories about the rare bank notes.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
          Thanks, Ram. Lots of odd old money on that site.