Re: The last public appearance of Teddy Roosevelt in 1918

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2005
      Ram I forwarded your message to a Teddy Roosevelt yahoo group and
      here's the reply I got:

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:32:46 -0800 (PST)
      From: "Edward J. Renehan Jr." <erenehan@...>
      Subject: Re: Fwd: The last public appearance of Teddy Roosevelt in

      The DuBois event, on 2 November, was also at Carnegie
      Hall, just as the Whitman event in October had been.
      And for my money - despite Thayer's analysis below -
      the DuBois event qualifies as TR's last public speech,
      beating the Whitman event by two weeks. TR spoke under
      the auspices of the Circle for Negro War Relief on the
      topic, "The American Negro and the War." One of my
      favorite quotes comes from this speech: "I don't ask
      for any man that he shall, because of his race, be
      given any privilege. All I ask is that in his ordinary
      civil and political rights, in his right to work, to
      enjoy life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness,
      that as regards these rights he be given the treatment
      that we would give him if he was an equally good man
      of another color."
      Ed Renehan