The last public appearance of Teddy Roosevelt in 1918

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2005
      The last days of Teddy Roosevelt's life was quiet. He nonetheless was
      still the activist Presidential nominee of the Progressive Party. His
      last public appearance with W.E.B. DuBois was for raising money for
      the wounded Black veterans coming back from Europe after World War I.
      Here is from the book "Theodore Roosevelt" written by William Roscoe
      Thayer in 1919:

      "Roosevelt never fully recovered from the infection which the fever he
      caught in Brazil left in his system. It manifested itself in different
      ways and the one thing certain was that it could not be cured. He paid
      little attention to it except when it actually sent him to bed. In the
      winter of 1918, it caused so serious an inflammation of the mastoid
      that he was taken to the hospital and had to undergo an operation. For
      several days his life hung by a thread. But, on his recovery, he went
      about as usual, and the public was scarcely aware of his lowered
      condition. He wrote and spoke, and seemed to be acting with his
      customary vigor. That summer, however, on July 14th, his youngest son,
      Quentin, First Lieutenant in the 95th American Aero Squadron, was
      killed in an air battle near Chambray, France. The lost child is the
      dearest. Roosevelt said nothing, but he never got over Quentin's loss.
      No doubt he often asked, in silence, why he, whose sands were nearly
      run, had not been taken and the youth, who had a lifetime to look
      forward to, had not been spared. The day after the news came, the New
      York State Republican Convention met at Saratoga. Roosevelt was to
      address it, and he walked up the aisle without hesitating, and spoke
      from the platform as if he had no thoughts in his heart, except the
      political and patriotic exhortation which he poured out. He passed a
      part of the summer with his daughter, Mrs. Derby, on the coast of
      Maine; and in the early autumn, at Carnegie Hall, he made his last
      public speech, in behalf of Governor Whitman's candidacy. A little
      after this, he appeared for the last time in public at a meeting in
      honor of a negro hospital unit. In a few days another outbreak of the
      old infection caused his removal to the Roosevelt Hospital. The date
      was November 11th,—the day when the Armistice was signed. He remained
      at the hospital until Christmas Eve, often suffering acutely from
      inflammatory rheumatism, the name the physicians gave to the new form
      the infection took. He saw his friends for short intervals, he
      followed the news, and even dictated letters on public subjects, but
      his family understood that his marvelous physical strength was being
      sadly exhausted. He longed to be taken home to Sagamore Hill, and when
      his doctor allowed him to go home, he was greatly cheered."

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2005
        Ram I forwarded your message to a Teddy Roosevelt yahoo group and
        here's the reply I got:

        Message: 2
        Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:32:46 -0800 (PST)
        From: "Edward J. Renehan Jr." <erenehan@...>
        Subject: Re: Fwd: The last public appearance of Teddy Roosevelt in
        1918

        The DuBois event, on 2 November, was also at Carnegie
        Hall, just as the Whitman event in October had been.
        And for my money - despite Thayer's analysis below -
        the DuBois event qualifies as TR's last public speech,
        beating the Whitman event by two weeks. TR spoke under
        the auspices of the Circle for Negro War Relief on the
        topic, "The American Negro and the War." One of my
        favorite quotes comes from this speech: "I don't ask
        for any man that he shall, because of his race, be
        given any privilege. All I ask is that in his ordinary
        civil and political rights, in his right to work, to
        enjoy life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness,
        that as regards these rights he be given the treatment
        that we would give him if he was an equally good man
        of another color."
        Best,
        Ed Renehan

        groups.yahoo.com/group/tr-m