Last Sec of State winning a party nomination

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2004
      The title was like a prerequisite credential for someone trying to
      become the President. The Quincy-Clay episode is an epitome.

      But who was the last SOS who successfully won a party nomination for
      President? I still wisfully want to see Powell run.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2004
        Yesterday a former Republican senator from New York, Alfonse D'Amato,
        was saying Bush ought to pick Powell this year.

        He said, "Let me note that Vice President Cheney is a decent,
        honorable, and patriotic American, a man of great intellect, who has
        served the president and the nation with dedication. But we should
        make no mistake, we are a nation at war with a vicious terrorist foe,
        and in war hard decisions must be made. As an observer of politics, I
        believe the president can guarantee his essential re-election by
        looking to several other notable individuals who would add a great
        dimension to his ticket as a running mate. [Colin Powell] would help
        galvanize the nation and offer a truly historic opportunity for
        American unity and pride. Instead of millions of African-Americans
        having their votes taken for granted or just saying, 'Republicans
        don't care about us, they don't reach out to us,' this would send an
        incredible signal. It would turn many of the battle states into
        tremendous wins for Republicans... [John McCain is] a genuine American
        hero who would also help bridge the political divide in our nation and
        assure the president's re-election by a wide margin."