Re: kerry to unconcede?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
      > A correction: in 1952 neither party nominated a sitting president
      > or vice president, but President Truman did apparently seek
      > renomination for a short time. He dropped out after losing
      > support to someone named Estes Kefauver, if I'm not mistaken.

      Kefauver was a leader in the Senate, nominated as the VP-candidate in
      1956 by Adlai Stevenson. He and Al Gore Senior and LBJ were the only
      Southern liberal Democrats in the fifties.

      > And, as others have pointed out, Eisenhower was practically a
      > president-in-waiting by 1952 anyhow. I've even heard that
      > Truman tried to convince Eisenhower to run as a Democrat in
      > 1948, but Eisenhower declined.

      They didn't like each other. Eisenhower hated Truman for desegregating
      the military and actually had a fight on that issue.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
        Kind of reminds me of the current policy on gays in the military. But
        of course 'don't ask, don't tell' wouldn't work for skin color.

        I wonder if Eisenhower ever thought about resegrating the military?

        > They didn't like each other. Eisenhower hated Truman for desegregating
        > the military and actually had a fight on that issue.
        >
        > Ram
      • tonymaloley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
          > They didn't like each other. Eisenhower hated Truman for
          desegregating the military and actually had a fight on that issue.

          I would pay $50 to see that fight on pay per view. Ike would
          probably be favored, but Harry seems like a scrapper.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            > Kind of reminds me of the current policy on gays in the military. But
            > of course 'don't ask, don't tell' wouldn't work for skin color.

            Kind of reminds me of this quote:

            "Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since
            at least the time of Julius Caesar." - Barry Goldwater

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
              > I would pay $50 to see that fight on pay per view. Ike would
              > probably be favored, but Harry seems like a scrapper.

              Physically speaking, Ike would crush Harry in the first round. But a
              presidential debate between them two would be amazing, given one
              decided to drop two atomic bombs and another fought a World War.