Re: kerry to unconcede?

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2004
      Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Supreme Court or God or somebody
      stepped in and made Kerry the new president?

      I'm afraid we would then have a little civil war. At this point it's
      probably best to let the babies have their way.

      And next time, can't we shell out a few billion for pencils, paper,
      and boxes, and maybe hire some people for counting, and a warehouse
      to keep the ballots? And have people put their name and phone number
      on the ballots, so we can verify legitimacy if we have to?

      Too much cost? I say it would be a small price to pay. Takes too
      long? Let the election take place a year before swearing in, what
      would it hurt? Might make it harder for a president to do his job
      and campaign at the same time, but that ought to be illegal anyway...
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2004
        You're right, we need a lot of reform in how we do our elections.
        There's so many of us ordinary people who think that, but not
        many people in Washington who seem to agree.

        Yeah, there's no way Kerry will be president next year or probably
        ever I'd guess. I've noticed there's a lot of new yahoo groups to
        support various candidates in 2008, and I don't think there's a
        single one for Kerry. There's groups for Russ Feingold, Evan
        Bayh, Hillary Clinton (and some anti-Hillary groups), Bill
        Richardson, Michael Badnarik (the Libertarian), and some
        Republican groups that are 2008-focused but haven't picked a
        specific candidate. But none for John Kerry. Another interesting
        thing about 2008: it will be the first time since 1928 when neither
        party nominated a sitting president or vice president (unless
        Cheney decided not too old after all, or unless Cheney and/or
        Bush resign, die, or are removed from office before then, or
        unless the 22nd Amendment is repealed and George stays in
        office for the rest of his life).

        A correction: in 1952 neither party nominated a sitting president
        or vice president, but President Truman did apparently seek
        renomination for a short time. He dropped out after losing
        support to someone named Estes Kefauver, if I'm not mistaken.
        And, as others have pointed out, Eisenhower was practically a
        president-in-waiting by 1952 anyhow. I've even heard that
        Truman tried to convince Eisenhower to run as a Democrat in
        1948, but Eisenhower declined.

        About waiting a year after the election for the inauguration, that
        sounds kind of like how it used to be. Until the 1930s, the
        inauguration was in March. If we waited a year after the election
        for the inauguration these days, then September 11 would have
        happened on Clinton's watch, not Bush's.

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
          > A correction: in 1952 neither party nominated a sitting president
          > or vice president, but President Truman did apparently seek
          > renomination for a short time. He dropped out after losing
          > support to someone named Estes Kefauver, if I'm not mistaken.

          Kefauver was a leader in the Senate, nominated as the VP-candidate in
          1956 by Adlai Stevenson. He and Al Gore Senior and LBJ were the only
          Southern liberal Democrats in the fifties.

          > And, as others have pointed out, Eisenhower was practically a
          > president-in-waiting by 1952 anyhow. I've even heard that
          > Truman tried to convince Eisenhower to run as a Democrat in
          > 1948, but Eisenhower declined.

          They didn't like each other. Eisenhower hated Truman for desegregating
          the military and actually had a fight on that issue.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            Kind of reminds me of the current policy on gays in the military. But
            of course 'don't ask, don't tell' wouldn't work for skin color.

            I wonder if Eisenhower ever thought about resegrating the military?

            > They didn't like each other. Eisenhower hated Truman for desegregating
            > the military and actually had a fight on that issue.
            >
            > Ram
          • tonymaloley
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
              > They didn't like each other. Eisenhower hated Truman for
              desegregating the military and actually had a fight on that issue.

              I would pay $50 to see that fight on pay per view. Ike would
              probably be favored, but Harry seems like a scrapper.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
                > Kind of reminds me of the current policy on gays in the military. But
                > of course 'don't ask, don't tell' wouldn't work for skin color.

                Kind of reminds me of this quote:

                "Everyone knows that gays have served honorably in the military since
                at least the time of Julius Caesar." - Barry Goldwater

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
                  > I would pay $50 to see that fight on pay per view. Ike would
                  > probably be favored, but Harry seems like a scrapper.

                  Physically speaking, Ike would crush Harry in the first round. But a
                  presidential debate between them two would be amazing, given one
                  decided to drop two atomic bombs and another fought a World War.