Re: [prezveepsenator] Digest Number 141

  • Joel Bader
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27 8:36 AM
      Have there been any other recent proposals to abolish the Electoral College by amending the U.S. Constitution? One would think that after the mess in Florida in 2002, there would have been several proposed amendments to abolish or overhaul the current system. There was that proposal in Colorado earlier this year, in which the electors would have been apportioned based on popular vote, as opposed to the winner-take-all system, but I am not sure about any others.

      prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/CvmplB/TM

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: feinstein proposes amendment to abolish the electoral college
      From: "Ram Lau"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:02:05 -0000
      From: "Ram Lau"
      Subject: Re: feinstein proposes amendment to abolish the electoral college

      I've always thought that it was impossible to ask the small states
      to ratify the amendment. Let's take a look at the electoral votes of
      each state from 2001 to 2010:

      Alaska 3
      Delaware 3
      D.C. 3
      Montana 3
      North Dakota 3
      South Dakota 3
      Vermont 3
      Wyoming 3

      Hawaii 4
      Idaho 4
      Maine 4
      New Hampshire 4
      Rhode Island 4

      Nebraska 5
      Nevada 5
      New Mexico 5
      Utah 5
      West Virginia 5

      Arkansas 6
      Kansas 6
      Mississippi 6

      Connecticut 7
      Iowa 7
      Oklahoma 7
      Oregon 7

      Kentucky 8
      South Carolina 8

      Alabama 9
      Colorado 9
      Louisiana 9

      Arizona 10
      Maryland 10
      Minnesota 10
      Wisconsin 10

      Indiana 11
      Missouri 11
      Tennessee 11
      Washington 11
      Massachusetts 12
      Virginia 13
      Georgia 15
      New Jersey 15
      North Carolina 15
      Michigan 17
      Ohio 20
      Illinois 21
      Pennsylvania 21
      Florida 27
      New York 31
      Texas 34
      California 55

      It just seems very unlikely to pass the ratification process, given
      how solidly Republican some states (like Mississippi and Alabama)
      are. They would rather take all the electoral votes with some 60% of
      popular support for the Republican candidate. The best case scenario
      is probably coming close to 38 but falling short by a few states,
      even with much broad effort from all over the country.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        Hi Joel,

        Hillary Clinton talked about it after she was first elected. But, of
        course, it didn't go anywhere. Then 9/11 happened and a bunch of other
        things happened. So Congress probably just didn't have time (or didn't
        want) to deal with it.

        Besides Colorado, I believe NH and ME did the same thing as well.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Joel Bader