Re: feinstein proposes amendment to abolish the electoral college

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2004
      I've always thought that it was impossible to ask the small states
      to ratify the amendment. Let's take a look at the electoral votes of
      each state from 2001 to 2010:

      Alaska 3
      Delaware 3
      D.C. 3
      Montana 3
      North Dakota 3
      South Dakota 3
      Vermont 3
      Wyoming 3

      Hawaii 4
      Idaho 4
      Maine 4
      New Hampshire 4
      Rhode Island 4

      Nebraska 5
      Nevada 5
      New Mexico 5
      Utah 5
      West Virginia 5

      Arkansas 6
      Kansas 6
      Mississippi 6

      Connecticut 7
      Iowa 7
      Oklahoma 7
      Oregon 7

      Kentucky 8
      South Carolina 8

      Alabama 9
      Colorado 9
      Louisiana 9

      Arizona 10
      Maryland 10
      Minnesota 10
      Wisconsin 10

      Indiana 11
      Missouri 11
      Tennessee 11
      Washington 11
      Massachusetts 12
      Virginia 13
      Georgia 15
      New Jersey 15
      North Carolina 15
      Michigan 17
      Ohio 20
      Illinois 21
      Pennsylvania 21
      Florida 27
      New York 31
      Texas 34
      California 55

      It just seems very unlikely to pass the ratification process, given
      how solidly Republican some states (like Mississippi and Alabama)
      are. They would rather take all the electoral votes with some 60% of
      popular support for the Republican candidate. The best case scenario
      is probably coming close to 38 but falling short by a few states,
      even with much broad effort from all over the country.