Edwards is the "safe" choice

  • alankjansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
      Kerry doesn't screw up -- that's his claim to fame -- he plays it
      safe, on votes and everything else. I think he picked Edwards because
      he's the "safe" choice. First, Edwards was the most popular choice
      (not that that's supposed to matter, but it means few people will
      protest). Second, Edwards has been "in the running" since March -- no
      surprises. Third, Edwards has been "vetted" by both Gore in 2000 and
      by the primary process in 2004.

      Why pick a safe choice? Because this election isn't about Kerry. It's
      a referendum on Bush. If voters like Bush, he gets re-elected. If
      voters don't like Bush, they vote for his opponent, if they think the
      guy's safe. It hardly matters what the opponent says, as long as he
      says the standard pabulum that doesn't surprise anyone.

      Sound like a strategy? Look for Kerry to play it safe from here until
      November -- no surprises, no shocks, nothing unexpected, pure Kerry.
      If he does that, and the economy stays lousy and/or Iraq stays lousy,
      Kerry wins.

      I'm not sure I can take Edwards' pollyannaish smiles for 4 years, but
      they're better than another 4 years of Bush & Cheney lying to us.
      Pretty lousy choices, huh?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004
        Hasn't it always been lousy? I wish it was McCain versus Bradley
        last time. It would have been a much more spirited and respectable
        race.

        Edwards's disingenuous sunny face is much less offensive than Bush's
        retarded smirk to me.

        Ram
      • dougloidc
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2004
          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "alankjansen"
          <AlanJansen@w...> wrote:
          > I'm not sure I can take Edwards' pollyannaish smiles for 4 years,.
          > but they're better than another 4 years of Bush & Cheney lying
          > to us. Pretty lousy choices, huh?

          Don't worry about his Pollyanna smiles. As VP, he will only venture
          out from his new "undisclosed location" for funerals, where the smile
          would be inappropriate. I hope we send the Smirk back to Texas, and
          the Snarl back to his current "undisclosed location."