Re: Well, well, well

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
      Grant's secretary of war, William Worth Belknap, was impeached. This
      site http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/beldam-belknap.html says:

      "Belknap, William Worth (1829-1890) -- also known as William W.
      Belknap -- Born in Newburgh, Orange County, N.Y., September 22, 1829.
      Member of Iowa state legislature, 1857-58; general in the Union Army
      during the Civil War; U.S. Secretary of War, 1869-76. Impeached in
      1876 by the House of Representatives for taking bribes; resigned on
      March 2, 1876. Despite arguments that the Senate lacked jurisdiction
      after his resignation, an impeachment trial was held; on August 1, the
      Senate voted 35 to 25 for his conviction, short of the necessary
      two-thirds. Died in Washington, D.C., October 13, 1890. Interment at
      Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va."

      So if he hadn't resigned, he might have been removed from office. As
      far as I know, he's the only cabinet member ever impeached. But it's a
      precedent. The House of Representatives could today, in theory,
      impeach any cabinet member that might have broken a law. Good
      arguments could made for the impeachment of several current cabinet
      members, as well as soon-to-be Attorney General Alberto Gonzales who
      wrote those memos arguing that torture can sometimes be legal. Not
      that I expect the House to do that.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
        "He graduated from Princeton University in 1848 and studied law at
        Georgetown University. In 1851 Belknap was admitted to the bar,
        moved to Keokuk, Iowa and entered the practice of law."

        Keokuk, Iowa!? I wonder if there were 200 people there in 1851. And
        true that he's very corrupt.