Re: reagan official article / iraq

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
      > Iraq, formed by their own experience there?

      A link to many links:
      http://www.ivaw.net/links.htm

      Among them, here's a pretty good one:
      http://www.veteransforpeace.org/Breaking_ranks.htm

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
        At the college I go to, I've met three students who are veterans of
        the Iraq war. One didn't talk about it at all except to mention he'd
        been there. Another talked about it a lot to me, and told me many
        interesting stories. The third I don't know as well, but I saw her
        speak at an antiwar rally on campus. It's quite possible I've met
        other veterans of the war and didn't realize they were veterans; there
        is a big military base in my town, and there are a lot of soldiers who
        are also college students.

        The two men are no longer in the military, and I don't know if the
        woman still is or not. The man who talked about it a lot to me was
        discharged with a lot of medical problems. He is rather bitter about
        it. He agreed with me that it would've been better for the U.S. if we
        hadn't gone into Iraq. He wasn't disturbed by the fact that while he
        was getting shot at, I was back over here protesting.

        I doubt he would mind if I related some of the stories he told me.

        He drove trucks, full of supplies I think. He said that when the
        trucks were going down the street they'd often be mobbed by crowds of
        Iraqis who would try to climb onto the truck and steal their supplies.
        He knew someone whose glasses were stolen like that. And also,
        sometimes the crowds would include people with guns and bombs. So the
        drivers were ordered to not stop when a crowd got in their way, and
        just hope the crowd got out of the way and didn't get run over. My
        friend followed the order, and only once did an Iraqi refuse to get
        out of the way of his truck. It was a boy who looked about 12. My
        friend didn't run over the boy, he swerved around him.

        Another time, my friend saw some superior officer decide to go to
        sleep under a truck instead of going into battle. The officer ordered
        two subordinates to stand guard over him while he slept. The officer
        was later given a Bronze Star for his conduct in that battle.

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
          > was later given a Bronze Star for his conduct in that battle.

          The sleeping battle? Whoa.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
            I'm under the impression that whoever gave him the Star was unaware of
            the truth. I don't know know the officer's name, and even if I did
            know I'd be hesitant to make a fuss about it because I don't want to
            get my friend in trouble.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
              True. We all know corruption exists everywhere, so let's just keep
              that as is. I never trust any monopoly, including the military-
              industrial complex that Ike was so concerned about some 40 years ago.