Re: reagan official article / iraq

  • tonymaloley
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 20, 2004
      (from the article)
      > The neocons have destroyed Iraq's infrastructure,
      > alienated the entire Muslim world and made the US the
      > most hated country on the planet.

      An interesting article, though I think the guy may want to use less
      drastic terms. And I think the bad guys have done plenty of damage
      to their own infrastructure. But I guess 2000 pound bombs aren't
      usually gentle on the infrastructure.

      A guy I know recently came back from serving in Iraq (in a relatively
      calm location, although they did have mortars lobbed at them a few
      times). He said that most Iraqis like the US, and the violent
      opposition in Iraq is analagous to the KKK in the US, a small fringe
      crazy minority. He also said that a visit to Baghdad showed a
      regular, healthy, bustling city of people going about their business,
      not the cratered, burning mess that you see on TV.

      I think his opinion is probably partly influenced by the US military
      mindset. They want to feel like they are part of something noble.

      But, he lived there several months, and saw at least part of Iraq
      with his own eyes, so that has to count for something.

      He also mentioned that the most accurate news reporting he has heard
      concerning the occupation has been on NPR. He feels that other
      networks have sensationalized the news.

      Does anyone else know somebody who has an opinion of the situation in
      Iraq, formed by their own experience there?
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
        > Iraq, formed by their own experience there?

        A link to many links:
        http://www.ivaw.net/links.htm

        Among them, here's a pretty good one:
        http://www.veteransforpeace.org/Breaking_ranks.htm

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
          At the college I go to, I've met three students who are veterans of
          the Iraq war. One didn't talk about it at all except to mention he'd
          been there. Another talked about it a lot to me, and told me many
          interesting stories. The third I don't know as well, but I saw her
          speak at an antiwar rally on campus. It's quite possible I've met
          other veterans of the war and didn't realize they were veterans; there
          is a big military base in my town, and there are a lot of soldiers who
          are also college students.

          The two men are no longer in the military, and I don't know if the
          woman still is or not. The man who talked about it a lot to me was
          discharged with a lot of medical problems. He is rather bitter about
          it. He agreed with me that it would've been better for the U.S. if we
          hadn't gone into Iraq. He wasn't disturbed by the fact that while he
          was getting shot at, I was back over here protesting.

          I doubt he would mind if I related some of the stories he told me.

          He drove trucks, full of supplies I think. He said that when the
          trucks were going down the street they'd often be mobbed by crowds of
          Iraqis who would try to climb onto the truck and steal their supplies.
          He knew someone whose glasses were stolen like that. And also,
          sometimes the crowds would include people with guns and bombs. So the
          drivers were ordered to not stop when a crowd got in their way, and
          just hope the crowd got out of the way and didn't get run over. My
          friend followed the order, and only once did an Iraqi refuse to get
          out of the way of his truck. It was a boy who looked about 12. My
          friend didn't run over the boy, he swerved around him.

          Another time, my friend saw some superior officer decide to go to
          sleep under a truck instead of going into battle. The officer ordered
          two subordinates to stand guard over him while he slept. The officer
          was later given a Bronze Star for his conduct in that battle.

          --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
            > was later given a Bronze Star for his conduct in that battle.

            The sleeping battle? Whoa.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
              I'm under the impression that whoever gave him the Star was unaware of
              the truth. I don't know know the officer's name, and even if I did
              know I'd be hesitant to make a fuss about it because I don't want to
              get my friend in trouble.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
                True. We all know corruption exists everywhere, so let's just keep
                that as is. I never trust any monopoly, including the military-
                industrial complex that Ike was so concerned about some 40 years ago.