Re: Well, well, well

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2004
      I suppose the difference between Rumsfeld now and Lott two years ago
      is that all the Republican senators could get together and replace
      Lott as their leader. There's only person who can replace Rumsfeld,
      and that person doesn't seem too interested. Cabinet secretaries can
      be impeached of course (if anyone's interested in that, I'll look for
      a link to more information).

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2004
        The impeachment of a Secretary? Has that ever happened before?

        Ram

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
          Grant's secretary of war, William Worth Belknap, was impeached. This
          site http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/beldam-belknap.html says:

          "Belknap, William Worth (1829-1890) -- also known as William W.
          Belknap -- Born in Newburgh, Orange County, N.Y., September 22, 1829.
          Member of Iowa state legislature, 1857-58; general in the Union Army
          during the Civil War; U.S. Secretary of War, 1869-76. Impeached in
          1876 by the House of Representatives for taking bribes; resigned on
          March 2, 1876. Despite arguments that the Senate lacked jurisdiction
          after his resignation, an impeachment trial was held; on August 1, the
          Senate voted 35 to 25 for his conviction, short of the necessary
          two-thirds. Died in Washington, D.C., October 13, 1890. Interment at
          Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va."

          So if he hadn't resigned, he might have been removed from office. As
          far as I know, he's the only cabinet member ever impeached. But it's a
          precedent. The House of Representatives could today, in theory,
          impeach any cabinet member that might have broken a law. Good
          arguments could made for the impeachment of several current cabinet
          members, as well as soon-to-be Attorney General Alberto Gonzales who
          wrote those memos arguing that torture can sometimes be legal. Not
          that I expect the House to do that.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
            "He graduated from Princeton University in 1848 and studied law at
            Georgetown University. In 1851 Belknap was admitted to the bar,
            moved to Keokuk, Iowa and entered the practice of law."

            Keokuk, Iowa!? I wonder if there were 200 people there in 1851. And
            true that he's very corrupt.