Well, well, well

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2004
      Deja vu? Rumsfeld's fiasco reminds me of Trent Lott's two years ago.
      It's just that this time we are talking about real people dying and
      suffering. Hegal shows his statesmanship once again. There are only
      a few conservative I respect. He's definitely one of them.

      Ram

      Rumsfeld supported by leading senators

      WASHINGTON — Any chance that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld might
      be forced from office soon appeared to end Sunday.

      Leading senators of both parties in charge of national security and
      foreign affairs committees said he should stay at his post.

      Sen. John Warner, a Virginia Republican and chairman of the Senate
      Armed Services Committee, and Sen. Richard Lugar, Indiana Republican
      and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said this is
      not the time to change leadership at the Pentagon, even as they
      acknowledged that serious mistakes in U.S. policy have been made in
      Iraq.

      They were echoed by the ranking Democrats on their respective
      panels, Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan and Sen. Joseph Biden of
      Delaware. All spoke on NBC's "Meet the Press."

      Rumsfeld's job appeared in jeopardy recently as critics said they
      lacked confidence in him, given the state of affairs in Iraq.

      After the defense secretary appeared dismissive recently when
      answering a U.S. soldier who had asked why military vehicles in Iraq
      lacked armor, calls for Rumsfeld's resignation echoed not only from
      Democrats, but from influential Republicans including Sens. John
      McCain of Arizona, Trent Lott of Mississippi, Chuck Hagel of
      Nebraska, Susan Collins of Maine and Norm Coleman of Minnesota.

      Eyebrows also rose in the nation's capital last week when one of the
      influential conservative intellectuals who has championed the war in
      Iraq — William Kristol, editor of the Weekly Standard — penned an
      essay calling for Rumsfeld's head.

      If Senate committee chairmen with the stature of Warner and Lugar
      had joined those calls, the political winds might have been too
      strong for President Bush to resist. But Warner and Lugar held the
      line, as Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee did Friday.

      "We should not at this point in time entertain any idea of changing
      those responsibilities in the Pentagon," Warner said.

      "We really can't go through that ordeal now," Lugar said, contending
      that it would be too disruptive to change leaders at the Pentagon.

      Levin said that while he is a Rumsfeld critic, replacing him would
      make no significant difference so long as any defense secretary
      executes Bush's policies.

      White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card reiterated Bush's confidence
      in Rumsfeld on Sunday.

      "Secretary Rumsfeld is doing a spectacular job," Card said on ABC-
      TV's "This Week."
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2004
        I suppose the difference between Rumsfeld now and Lott two years ago
        is that all the Republican senators could get together and replace
        Lott as their leader. There's only person who can replace Rumsfeld,
        and that person doesn't seem too interested. Cabinet secretaries can
        be impeached of course (if anyone's interested in that, I'll look for
        a link to more information).

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2004
          The impeachment of a Secretary? Has that ever happened before?

          Ram

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
            Grant's secretary of war, William Worth Belknap, was impeached. This
            site http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/beldam-belknap.html says:

            "Belknap, William Worth (1829-1890) -- also known as William W.
            Belknap -- Born in Newburgh, Orange County, N.Y., September 22, 1829.
            Member of Iowa state legislature, 1857-58; general in the Union Army
            during the Civil War; U.S. Secretary of War, 1869-76. Impeached in
            1876 by the House of Representatives for taking bribes; resigned on
            March 2, 1876. Despite arguments that the Senate lacked jurisdiction
            after his resignation, an impeachment trial was held; on August 1, the
            Senate voted 35 to 25 for his conviction, short of the necessary
            two-thirds. Died in Washington, D.C., October 13, 1890. Interment at
            Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Va."

            So if he hadn't resigned, he might have been removed from office. As
            far as I know, he's the only cabinet member ever impeached. But it's a
            precedent. The House of Representatives could today, in theory,
            impeach any cabinet member that might have broken a law. Good
            arguments could made for the impeachment of several current cabinet
            members, as well as soon-to-be Attorney General Alberto Gonzales who
            wrote those memos arguing that torture can sometimes be legal. Not
            that I expect the House to do that.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21, 2004
              "He graduated from Princeton University in 1848 and studied law at
              Georgetown University. In 1851 Belknap was admitted to the bar,
              moved to Keokuk, Iowa and entered the practice of law."

              Keokuk, Iowa!? I wonder if there were 200 people there in 1851. And
              true that he's very corrupt.