trent lott wants rumsfeld repalced

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004
      http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/10427343.htm
      Posted on Thu, Dec. 16, 2004

      Lott: Replace defense chief

      By MELISSA M. SCALLAN

      BILOXI - U.S. Sen. Trent Lott doesn't believe Defense
      Secretary Donald Rumsfeld should resign immediately,
      but he does think Rumsfeld should be replaced sometime
      in the next year.

      "I'm not a fan of Secretary Rumsfeld," Lott,
      R-Mississippi, told the Biloxi Chamber of Commerce on
      Wednesday morning. "I don't think he listens enough to
      his uniformed officers."

      Rumsfeld has been criticized since a soldier asked him
      last week why the combat vehicles used in the war in
      Iraq don't have the proper armor. Both Rumsfeld and
      President Bush have said more vehicle armor will be
      shipped to Iraq.

      Lott said the United States needs more troops to help
      with the war. The country also needs a plan to leave
      Iraq once elections are over at the end of January.

      Lott doesn't think Rumsfeld is necessarily the person
      to carry out that plan.

      "I would like to see a change in that slot in the next
      year or so," Lott said. "I'm not calling for his
      resignation, but I think we do need a change at some
      point."

      On another military issue, Lott said he hopes the Base
      Realignment and Closure Commission will consider
      closing bases overseas rather than in the United
      States.

      "I think we're looking at closures at home before
      looking at other parts of the world," he said.

      Keesler Air Force Base and the Seabee Base in Gulfport
      most likely will be spared, Lott said, but Naval
      Station Pascagoula could be affected.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004
        This is great. It really sucks when even Trent Lott talks trash
        about you.