reagan official opposes invasion of iran

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
      from groups.yahoo.com/group/epypf
      Another conservative Republican against Bush.

      U.S. Invasion Of Iran Draws Closer
      By Paul Craig Roberts

      Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith is the neocon
      Likudnik who was tasked with cooking up the false
      "intelligence" that President Bush used to deceive the
      US public into supporting an illegal invasion of Iraq.

      With the US military now trapped in the Iraqi
      quagmire, Feith wants the US to attack Iran.

      President Bush falsely claimed that Iraq had weapons
      of mass destruction, that Iraq was linked to the
      terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, and that
      Iraq would give weapons of mass destruction to
      anti-American terrorists. Senior members of the Bush
      administration terrified the
      US public with prospects of mushroom clouds going up
      over US cities.

      Having been proved 100% wrong about Iraq, the Bush
      administration now claims that the nonexistent WMD are
      in Iran, or maybe Syria. During recent weeks the Bush
      administration worked overtime to terrify the US
      public into believing that Iran is building nuclear
      weapons and missiles
      with which to destroy American cities.

      To ward off yet another gratuitous and illegal US
      attack on a Muslim country, Europe, the International
      Atomic Energy Agency, and US experts such as Gordon
      Prather have exposed the Bush administration�s false
      claims.

      But the Bush administration ignores factual truth.
      Bush has his own "truth," a delusional "truth"
      independent of all evidence.

      Israel�s rightwing Likud Party regards Feith as one of
      its own. The Jerusalem Post described Feith as "a
      staunch supporter of Israel" (Dec. 12). In an
      exclusive interview Feith told that paper that despite
      the intercession of Britain, France, Germany and the
      IAEA against a US attack on Iran, the Bush
      administration has not ruled out taking military
      action against Iran. [Feith to 'Post': US action
      against Iran can't be ruled out, By Caroline Glick]

      In other words, the neocon Bush administration has
      already decided to attack Iran and Syria. The only
      question is what kind of lie can Bush use to get away
      with it.

      But first Bush has to take over the IAEA, which has
      steadfastly refused to go along with Bush�s propaganda
      against Iran. According to the Washington Post (Dec.
      12), the Bush administration has been tapping the
      telephones of the head of the IAEA, M. ElBaradei,
      hoping to find damaging
      information with which to frame, blackmail, or taint
      him as an Iranian ally.

      Unable to find or to manufacture any evidence against
      ElBaradei, the Bush administration is using an
      orchestrated campaign of anonymous accusations in an
      effort to oust the IAEA director and to replace him
      with a US puppet.

      The problem is that ElBaradei is more highly regarded
      than any member of the tainted Bush administration,
      including President Bush himself. So far Bush cannot
      find anyone anywhere in the world, including our
      British puppet, who is willing to be associated with
      the Bush administration�s disgraceful intentions.

      The important unanswered question is: why do the
      neocons with their proven record of duplicity and
      delusion still hold the reigns of power in the Bush
      administration?

      Why isn�t Feith in prison?

      Martha Stewart is in prison for "lying" about a
      noncrime. Feith�s lies have killed thousands. The Iraq
      war is based entirely on neocon lies. The war is
      costing the US a fortune it does not have. The war is
      producing US casualties comparable to those of the
      Vietnam War and has killed a minimum of tens of
      thousands of Iraqi civilians.

      The neocons have destroyed Iraq�s infrastructure,
      alienated the entire Muslim world and made the US the
      most hated country on the planet.

      What does Douglas Feith think the effect would be on
      Shi�ite Iraq of a US attack on Shi�ite Iran? The only
      reason the US army in Iraq has not been totally
      destroyed is the wait-and-see attitude of the majority
      Shi�ites, who expect to take control of Iraq once
      there is an election. If the US attacks Iran, the
      Iraqi Shi�ite clerics will not be able to maintain
      their neutrality toward the US occupation of Iraq.

      The current Iraqi insurgency is drawn from Sunni
      ranks. Sunnis comprise only 20% of Iraq�s population.
      Yet, Sunnis have tied down 8 US divisions while
      inflicting horrendous casualties on US troops. If Bush
      escalates US aggression in the Middle East, he will
      create a larger insurgency.

      Imagine the US casualty rate if the Iraqi insurgency
      was drawn from 80% of the population. The temporary
      Shi�ite insurgency of the minor cleric, Al Sadr,
      caused tremendous US consternation. What would be the
      US casualty rate if, instead of sitting on their
      hands, all the Shi�ites had joined the insurgency?

      Iran covers almost four times the area of Iraq and has
      more than 2.5 times the population. If Bush attacks
      Iran, he will create an insurgency there as well, one
      that could spill over into Pakistan, Jordan, Saudi
      Arabia, and Egypt.

      Bush�s war is achieving a Shi�ite unity that will
      redraw Middle Eastern boundaries and eliminate secular
      Muslim governments. Shi�ite unity will merge with the
      anti-American terrorists and drive all Western
      expatriates out of the Middle East. Indeed, the
      departures are already underway. Israel will be
      isolated, exposed to the consequences of its
      aggression against the Palestinians.

      Fox "News" and right-wing talk radio crazies misinform
      us that we are kicking terrorist butt, but in
      non-delusional reality, we are unifying Islam and
      ending forever Western influence in the Middle East.

      COPYRIGHT CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

      Paul Craig Roberts was Assistant Secretary of the
      Treasury in the Reagan administration and formerly
      Associate Editor of the Wall Street Journal editorial
      page and Contributing Editor of National Review. He is
      the author with Lawrence M. Stratton of The Tyranny of
      Good Intentions : How Prosecutors and Bureaucrats Are
      Trampling the Constitution in the Name of Justice.
    • tonymaloley
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 2004
        (from the article)
        > The neocons have destroyed Iraq's infrastructure,
        > alienated the entire Muslim world and made the US the
        > most hated country on the planet.

        An interesting article, though I think the guy may want to use less
        drastic terms. And I think the bad guys have done plenty of damage
        to their own infrastructure. But I guess 2000 pound bombs aren't
        usually gentle on the infrastructure.

        A guy I know recently came back from serving in Iraq (in a relatively
        calm location, although they did have mortars lobbed at them a few
        times). He said that most Iraqis like the US, and the violent
        opposition in Iraq is analagous to the KKK in the US, a small fringe
        crazy minority. He also said that a visit to Baghdad showed a
        regular, healthy, bustling city of people going about their business,
        not the cratered, burning mess that you see on TV.

        I think his opinion is probably partly influenced by the US military
        mindset. They want to feel like they are part of something noble.

        But, he lived there several months, and saw at least part of Iraq
        with his own eyes, so that has to count for something.

        He also mentioned that the most accurate news reporting he has heard
        concerning the occupation has been on NPR. He feels that other
        networks have sensationalized the news.

        Does anyone else know somebody who has an opinion of the situation in
        Iraq, formed by their own experience there?
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
          > Iraq, formed by their own experience there?

          A link to many links:
          http://www.ivaw.net/links.htm

          Among them, here's a pretty good one:
          http://www.veteransforpeace.org/Breaking_ranks.htm

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
            At the college I go to, I've met three students who are veterans of
            the Iraq war. One didn't talk about it at all except to mention he'd
            been there. Another talked about it a lot to me, and told me many
            interesting stories. The third I don't know as well, but I saw her
            speak at an antiwar rally on campus. It's quite possible I've met
            other veterans of the war and didn't realize they were veterans; there
            is a big military base in my town, and there are a lot of soldiers who
            are also college students.

            The two men are no longer in the military, and I don't know if the
            woman still is or not. The man who talked about it a lot to me was
            discharged with a lot of medical problems. He is rather bitter about
            it. He agreed with me that it would've been better for the U.S. if we
            hadn't gone into Iraq. He wasn't disturbed by the fact that while he
            was getting shot at, I was back over here protesting.

            I doubt he would mind if I related some of the stories he told me.

            He drove trucks, full of supplies I think. He said that when the
            trucks were going down the street they'd often be mobbed by crowds of
            Iraqis who would try to climb onto the truck and steal their supplies.
            He knew someone whose glasses were stolen like that. And also,
            sometimes the crowds would include people with guns and bombs. So the
            drivers were ordered to not stop when a crowd got in their way, and
            just hope the crowd got out of the way and didn't get run over. My
            friend followed the order, and only once did an Iraqi refuse to get
            out of the way of his truck. It was a boy who looked about 12. My
            friend didn't run over the boy, he swerved around him.

            Another time, my friend saw some superior officer decide to go to
            sleep under a truck instead of going into battle. The officer ordered
            two subordinates to stand guard over him while he slept. The officer
            was later given a Bronze Star for his conduct in that battle.

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "tonymaloley" <am7788zz@m...>
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
              > was later given a Bronze Star for his conduct in that battle.

              The sleeping battle? Whoa.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
                I'm under the impression that whoever gave him the Star was unaware of
                the truth. I don't know know the officer's name, and even if I did
                know I'd be hesitant to make a fuss about it because I don't want to
                get my friend in trouble.

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 21, 2004
                  True. We all know corruption exists everywhere, so let's just keep
                  that as is. I never trust any monopoly, including the military-
                  industrial complex that Ike was so concerned about some 40 years ago.