Re: south american version of the eu

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2004
      You're right, the world could easily get more chaotic as more regions become
      united economically and/or politcally. But I have doubts about how successful
      this South American union will be, as did the writer of that BBC article I think.
      But assuming that somehow they and the African Union become as united
      and integrated as the European Union is today, it would probably be good for
      the standard of living of the South Americans and Africans, though at the
      same time could lead to more confrontation between them and the current big
      powers, like the U.S. and China. And it sounds almost like the world
      described in Orwell's 1984, with Eurasia, Oceania, and whatever the third
      power was called.

      Speaking of Orwell, has anyone read his semi-autobiographical book Down
      And Out In Paris And London? I just finished it, it was very interesting.

      On the other hand, things are already pretty chaotic right now. If there was, for
      example, one African government, that government could probably easily end
      the violence in Darfur.